• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Removing A Pulley From A Drive Shaft

I started tearing into the PM66 tonight and it is going to need a lot more work than I estimated. The belts are shot and need replacing, and there is more rust than I thought, right down to the pulley on the motor. I pulled the motor and loosened the set screws but need to get the pulley off so I can derust it and repaint. I tried a gentle crowbar but the drive shaft moved along its axis a little with the pulley. Should I just get an Auto Zone gear puller? It is a standard pulley in a keyway.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

removing a pulley......

Yes, get a gear puller. I would also soak that shaft, real well over night with a
    good quality penetrating lubricant. Since you already have the motor removed from the saw, stand it up on end, support it with some wooden blocks to keep it from falling over and pour in the penetrating oil around the shaft and let it
    work in really well before attempting to pull it off the shaft.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Yup a two or three jaw puller will make removal quick and painless, or at least it should. YMMV
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Yeah, you can borrow the tool at AZ. If you slather with penetrant, put a paper towel around the shaft to keep the fluid from running into the motor housing.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks. I will get the bearing puller tomorrow. now the next thing is to figure out how to disassemble the motor carriage and take it out for cleaning/lubing.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

You can also support the pulley with the motor on the bottom and then rap on the shaft with hammer and block of wood to drive it out. Once it's moving it will move fast so have something to catch the motor. After you have let it soak over night of course.

If you decide to go with the puller, put pressure on it and then rap it with a hammer, if you just try to pull it of you risk damaging the pulley.

Bill
            i can fix anything, i have a 15lb hammer!

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Once you get the pulley off, clean the shaft/keyway/key, and the inner surface of the pulley hole with either bronze wool or a microfiber pad. Steel wool can leave residue that can rust. Use a very thin coat of machine oil or vaseline on the surfaces before reinstalling.

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I had to do the same thing on an antique shaper I was working on. Bought a gear puller at HF for about $3. Used a lot of penetrating lubricant as eezlock suggested. It came off easily after letting the lub work overnight and using the gear puller.
                Richard

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Hmm... for 14 bucks HF has the same puller I picked up at Auto Zone. At AZ it is free. Of course they charge me for it then refund the money when I brig it back.
                  David

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                    Should I just get an Auto Zone gear puller?
                    Maybe. The crankshaft pulley on many Chrysler engines has to be removed to change the timing belt. The pulleys are often stuck - so stuck, that if a 3-jaw puller is used, the flanges break off the pulley, ruining it. The preferred removal method for that application is to use small pry bars to remove the pulley. There is enough space to reach in behind the pulley with the pry bars and lever the thicker hub of the pulley against the engine block.

So, if your pulley is really stuck, be careful of breaking or bending the pulley with the 3-jaw puller. One option might be to make a wood or metal piece to fit behind the pulley and bear only on the hub, and then attach the puller arms to that piece rather than to the pulley flanges.

Regarding penetrants, Break-Free is the absolute most effective "penetrating oil" we have found. Unlike the others, BF chemically converts the rust and corrosion to liquid that runs out of the joint. It's available in the gun department at Dick's.
                    The all-in-one formula to service your firearm. view now The ultimate lubricant for semi-automatic firearms. view now Advanced 5-year storage protection for guns, knives, swords and collectibles. view now THE GOLD STANDARD Proven to perform in temperatures ranging from -65˚ F to +475˚ F even after saltwater immersion,
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• RAFlorida
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                      • Ryobi BT3000

+1 with WoodTurner.

I broke the flange on a pulley and know first hand that you gotta be carefull how much pressure to apply to the puller. Best to hit it with a mallet as you turn the puller bolt.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

If it does not move with modest pressure on the pressure screw with a combination wrench then you are much better off getting and using a bearing seperator than trying impacting the pressure screw. Or simply apply heat.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by phrog
                          I had to do the same thing on an antique shaper I was working on. Bought a gear puller at HF for about $3. Used a lot of penetrating lubricant as eezlock suggested. It came off easily after letting the lub work overnight and using the gear puller.
                          I just looked up the number (off the box) on the HF website for the gear puller I bought for $3 and the number shows "No Longer Available." Sorry about that.
                          Richard

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Forgot to mention, I got the gear puller from Auto Zone and the pulley came off fairly easily. Now I realize I should have marked the location before I took it off. Oh well.
                            David

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
                              Forgot to mention, I got the gear puller from Auto Zone and the pulley came off fairly easily. Now I realize I should have marked the location before I took it off. Oh well.
                              Didn't the set screw leave a divot?

Comment

Working...