• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Benchtop Jointer: Delta or Craftsman?

OK, here I go again with another "which tool should I buy".

I need a benchtop jointer -- due to space constraints I can't buy a stationary one. I'm considering the Delta JT160 and the Craftsman
    #21788. Here's the pro's and Cons:

Delta (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72969?v=glance):
    Pros: Price (I can get it for under $175, shipped). Delta is a decent name. Several here on BT3central have this model and say it's ok.
    Cons: Aluminum table & fence has caused user complaints in some reviews.

Craftsman (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921788000):
    Pros: Cast iron table and fence should be better quality than aluminum.
    Cons: Price ($230 + tax). Craftsman not as good of name as Delta? Other than one newsgroup review, I haven't been able to find much on this model.

So whaddya'all think? I'd rather spend less and get the Delta, but if the cast iron is a major factor, I could spend that as well. Sears sells both models, so I'm hoping to get to a local store in the next day or two to try to see them both firsthand.

I do appreciate all the help everyone has given me. I hope to give you all some fruits from this help in the next few months by displaying some successfully completed projects, so you can know that you've given a new woodworker the nurturing needed to get results. And hopefully someday I'll be able to give as much advice as I take from this place.

-Tim
  • oakleydo
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2003
    • KS.

I was in the same position you are about a year ago. I have the Delta. It works pretty well for smaller stock, but two weeks ago I bought the larger shopmaster from Lowes to replace it and would recommend it far more than the smaller shopmaster.

In fact, if you're interested in a slightly used delta (had it about one year)and an extra set of knives, I could make you a deal.

Comment

• jcjrsmith
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I was reading a discussion of this very subject last week on Woodnet, and the Craftsman was getting rave reviews. I have also seen a lot of messages saying that, while they were bad for a while, the Craftsman power tools are making a comeback.

Jerry in PA
      ...Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
      http://home.comcast.net/~jcjrsmith2

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by jcjrsmith

I was reading a discussion of this very subject last week on Woodnet, and the Craftsman was getting rave reviews. I have also seen a lot of messages saying that, while they were bad for a while, the Craftsman power tools are making a comeback.
        Do you have a link to that discussion thread? I'd be interested, and am not familiar with woodnet...

-Tim

Comment

• silverfox
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Richland Center WI, USA.
          • BT3100

There you go, Tim....oakleydo just made you an offer on one of the models you are looking at. Probably save quite a bit.
          Mike

Comment

• Evil_Homer
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2003
            • Orange Beach, AL, USA.

i have the older delta benchtop and it does fine for edging boards.. i use my bandsaw or planer for all thickness issues..
            Mike in Bon Secour, Alabama
            aka Reckless_2350

Comment

• jcjrsmith
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

quote:Originally posted by tfischer

quote:Originally posted by jcjrsmith

Do you have a link to that discussion thread? I'd be interested, and am not familiar with woodnet...

-Tim
              I just went looking for it and could not find it. Woodnet can be found at www.woodnet.net
              Jerry in PA
              ...Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
              http://home.comcast.net/~jcjrsmith2

Comment

• skeetboy3
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2004
                • Bryan, TX, USA.

Sears puts their benchtop on sale often, join the craftsman club if you are not a member and you can get 10% off quite often as well,

Trey

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by skeetboy3

Sears puts their benchtop on sale often, join the craftsman club if you are not a member and you can get 10% off quite often as well,
                  Hmm, just got back from Sears in Eden Prairie. They have both jointers, but only the Delta was on display. The box for the craftsman was HEAVY which I'm sure is good in general, but since I'll be toting this off of a shelf every time I use it (I could certainly bolt/clamp it down for stability). The craftsman was $249 plus tax, whereas I can get the delta for about $170 shipped, maybe cheaper if I can strike up a deal with oakleydo on his used one.

Sears had the Delta for $229, so Amazon is really a good deal. It actually was a lot more solid looking than I expected for that price...

Oh, the dilemmas... I think I might try Ridgedale's Sears on the way home to see if they have the Craftsman out on display.

UPDATE: The Ridgedale Sears had both jointers side by side. I was VERY impressed by the quality of the Craftsman. I thought just the table and fence were cast iron; it turns out the WHOLE THING is cast iron -- including the body, the blade guard, and all the fence adjusting hardware. It weighs over 100 pounds (compared to 30 for the Delta). It also has a built in chip blower and comes with a dust bag. Everything I read from owners of the Craftsman was positive, whereas the Delta got mixed reviews at best. They offered me 10% discount, so I picked up the Craftsman jointer for $225. I assembled it tonight (the grease monkey worked overtime and it was soaked in oil) and ran a few boards through it. So far, I think I'll be pleased.

I know I could have got a "real" jointer for the same money, but I simply don't have the space. I'll see how this one serves me, and maybe make some table extensions if I need to.

Thanks for the help, all.

-Tim

Comment

• skeetboy3
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Bryan, TX, USA.

Glad you are pleased, let us know how it turns out.

Trey

Comment

• Uncle_Mike
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Puyallup, WA, USA.

I was lucky enough last Saturday to find a slightly used Delta JT160 at a yard sale. The guy slod it saying he couldn't get a decent cut from it.
                      I really hadn't planned on getting one just yet but the deal was to sweet to pass up.
                      I brought it home and replaced and set the blades correctly ( it was very evedent that the previous owner had no clue how to set the blades correctly )and it does as near a perfect job as you can get from any other machine in its size and price class.
                      Much like you, I did searches and comparisons on the net and every other source I could find including a visual comparison. Your very right that there are mixed reviews on the Delta and I think many are of the same mind that the salesman at Sears was when I asked him about the 22811. " We don't carry that saw any more but look at this one it weighs 500 lbs." What weight has to do with the performance of any tool is a mystery but evedently in some opinions it does.
                      My personal conclusion is that if you want a good work out get the Craftsman. If you want a benchtop tool that does the same quality and you can lift it to your bench without getting hurt, then get a Delta.

BTW I got my Delta in like new condition for $40.00
                      Most problems with tools can be attributed to a loose nut.

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Uncle_Mike

What weight has to do with the performance of any tool is a mystery but evedently in some opinions it does.
                        My personal conclusion is that if you want a good work out get the Craftsman. If you want a benchtop tool that does the same quality and you can lift it to your bench without getting hurt, then get a Delta.

BTW I got my Delta in like new condition for $40.00
                        If I had found a Delta for $40, I would have got it too!

It wasn't so much the weight I was impressed with as the quality of the fence and table on the Craftsman. I read several reviews about how hard it was to align the fence on the Delta, and even when it was aligned that it sometimes flexed. I don't think that will be a problem on the Craftsman -- it uses a fence alignment mechanism similar to those on a stationary jointer, and the fence is huge and is cast iron and definitely won't flex. The cast iron table also won't scratch easilly, which was an issue with the Delta according to many reviews.

I agree it's going to be a workout moving it up to my bench, though. The only advantage I can see in the weight is that I won't have to bolt it down, and maybe it won't vibrate as badly (although we all know the vibration fallacy of the BT3.1...) I hope we're both happy with our purchases in a few months!

-Tim

Comment

• silverfox
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Richland Center WI, USA.
                          • BT3100

Yeah.....keep us posted on that machine, Tim. Probably many here that would like to know about it.
                          Mike

Comment

• sponathil
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Plymouth, Minnesota.

Tim,

The Craftsman model describes it as a jointer and planer. Is it really so? Are you seeing that you can get by without a separate planer?

Sangeeth.

Comment

• tfischer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by sponathil

Tim,

The Craftsman model describes it as a jointer and planer. Is it really so? Are you seeing that you can get by without a separate planer?
                              Nope, just marketing magic. What they call "planing" is really "face jointing". I also picked up the Delta TP300 from Amazon, which arrived today. So I'm set to be a millin' fool now!

I still haven't called Youngblood's for prices. Did you ever find the name of that other dealer in Roseville?

There's enough folks in the Minneapolis area here that we might have to try to arrange a group buy. I'll be wanting to purchase hardwood in the next couple of weeks...

-Tim

Comment

Working...