• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

craftsman planer

picked up one of these at sears today for $120 (craftman 13" professional planer model 351.217430):

anyone have any first hand experience with it? i know, i know...2 cutters, not 3. pros, cons problem areas? i'm not heavy into furniture yet and see this as a relatively inexpensive way to get introduced to this type of tool. wish i could find one of those borg clearanced 735s, but no such luck. comments appreciated.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • bthorne
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Ruckersville, VA
    • Craftsman 21829

I have one of those. First off, a big "You Suck" for getting one at that price. That's a great deal!

I haven't run into any problems with mine - it leaves a nice smooth surface if you don't take too much off with each pass. If you use the cutterhead lock, there isn't much snipe either. Also, the chip ejection fan is a really nice thing to have. I use the chip collection hood attached to a large trash bag, and it collects almost everything. Just make sure you a sturdy bag and cinch it down tightly around that metal ring it comes with. The fan moves a lot of air and can blow out the bag, resulting in chips all over the shop.

That's about all the tips I have off the top of my head. Let me know if you have any other questions, and congrats on the new tool.
    --
    Bryan

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

IIRC, it's made by Palmgren, and have been fairly well received.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

Originally posted by toolguy1000
        picked up one of these at sears today for $120 (craftman 13" professional planer model 351.217430):

anyone have any first hand experience with it? i know, i know...2 cutters, not 3. pros, cons problem areas? i'm not heavy into furniture yet and see this as a relatively inexpensive way to get introduced to this type of tool. wish i could find one of those borg clearanced 735s, but no such luck. comments appreciated.
        pLUS 1 ON THE you suck. Now that we've gotten that out of the way...was it a sale, a Sears boo boo, a closeout? In other words, is there any percentage for the rest of us going to Sears for a look?
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• headhunter636
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Federal Way, WA
          • Ryobi BT 3000

I would like to pass on a hardy "You Suck" as well and I too am curious how you got it at that price.

All sucking aside, I hope it works well for you.
          Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

that model is a closout/clearance purchased yesterday. the one i got was a floor model, so it's missing the dust collection bag. since i use a DC and a shop vac, that's a non-issue. i got the low price by just asking a manager to keep lowering the price until he said no 3 time in a row. then i figured i'd hit bottom. however, today i realized all is not well.

upon closer inspection, the on/off switch is missing its safety insert, the height adjustment handle is missing from the top of the unit and the power cord's sheathing is ripped:

so i'm thinking "return time". while passing the store, i stop in to talk to the dept. manager who set the $120 price. he checks with his manager and says, "tell me what you need. we'll order it from sears parts direct, the store will pay for it and we'll have it shipped to your home, free". i stand there kind of stunned and say thanks.

moral of the story: maybe sears isn't dead yet. but in the last 6 months, the two dealings i've had with a store have been split..one ended poorly and this one ended well. my overriding impression is that the systems put into the stores from "on high" do an incredibly good job of preventing the store staffers from helping customers, even on routine things.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

as a follow up, all the parts the manager ordered arrived yesterday. so , apart from teh dust collection bag, i have a fully functional 2 hp 13" planer for the price of $120. interestingly, grizzly sells the same unit, without the power lifter for the cutter head, as their G0689.

At home, at the job site, or in the workshop, this 13" Planer will go anywhere you need it. Features include four column support, easy-to-set double sided HSS blades, right and left handed height control knob option, material removal height gauge, stepped material thickness presets, cutterhead height lock lever, double return rollers, thermal overload protection and dust collection bag. Two built-in side handles and adjustable, flip up table wings make this planer a compact 26" wide x 20-1/2" high x 13-1/2" deep for easy portability.SPECIFICATIONS:Motor: 2 HP, 110V, single-phaseMaximum cutting width: 13"Maximum cutting height: 6"Maximum cutting depth: 3/32"Minimum board thickness: 13/64"Feed rate: 19 FPMNumber of knives: 2 double edged HSSKnife size: 13" x 15/32" x 1/16"Cutterhead speed: 8,000 RPMOn/Off toggle switch with safety lockThermal overload protectionTwo top mounted return rollersFour column cutterhead supportCutterhead lock leverAdjustable infeed and outfeed wingsInch/metric height scaleMaterial removal gaugeDust port: 2-1/2"Stepped material thickness presets: 1/8, 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/4"Overall size with wings: 26"W x 20-1/2"H x 35-1/2"DApproximate shipping weight: 74 lbs.

BTW, the model that's the subject of this thread is made by a company called Colovos Company. at least that's what sears CS and the sears model number (351.217430) indicate. note 351 at this site:

A community committed to Power Tools, Outdoor Power Equipment (OPE), Grilling, Automotive, and various other innovative household products.

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Suckus Maximus.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

just completed replacing the power cord of the subject planer. kind of a PITA. no repair manuals available and no info from sears. contacted the manufacturer, colovos co., and they didn't have any consumer info. so i gently poked around and 3 hours later, the old cord was out and the new was in. as i suspected, the motor had to be rotated out of its' operating position, which required removing the cutter head locking mechanism and the auto lift feature. the hardest part was rotating the motor out of the operating position. there is no spare room provided, so the motor must be "persuaded" out of its operating position, with a considerable amount of force, into a servicing position so the grounding screw and line cord clamp can be accessed. on balance, i'm happy with the purchcase. planes well and sears paid for the $60 in parts and shipping needed to make the tool work properly.

Comment

• charleenthomas1
                    Handtools only
                    • Jul 2021

I'm new here and hope this is seen. I am looking for the fan on the 351217430 craftsman planer and of course they are discontinued. Does anyone know if there is a similar product that would be interchangeable perhaps?

Comment

Working...