• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yuri
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2008
    • Gaithersburg, MD

Finishing Sanders

I have a Chicago 1/3 Sheet Finishing Sander from Harbor Freight, which I use more than a year. Looks like decent tool too me. I like 1/3 sheet size, now almost all sanders are 1/4. I do not have problems with paper installing in my sander and it stay in place well during sanding and there is no uncomfortable feel in the hands.
    I did not use other sanders and do not know if I miss something not having one. What is your opinion of not having something famous like PC 342K or DEWALT D26441K?
  • Charlie
    Banned
    • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Finishing sanders (orbital) have a fixed plate, and vibrate in a regulated orbit pattern. The 1/3 sheet sanders are effective for large areas.

You might consider a random orbit sander. They have a random orbit to the abrasion, and the mounting plate rotates. This type of sander leaves much less evidence of sanding than a finish sander. For better terms, less "swirls". Another advantage is the sandpaper doesn't get loaded up as easily as a finish sander. There is also two different mounting methods, hook and loop (H&L) and PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive), which means much faster mounting of the sandpaper, as there are no levers to slide in sandpaper that lock down. And, you don't have to pre-size the sandpaper to fit.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I have the DeWalt sander you are asking about but don't use it much. About a year after I got it the power switch broke and that was with not much use. It is possible to turn on and off but it must be done just right. I replaced it with a PC Random Orbit Sander that takes hook and loop sheets. I like it much better. Dust collection is better. Unlike the DeWalt you can hook it to a shop vac. Sanding pad changes are much quicker. It also gives a smoother finish than the finishing sander.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Once you use a ROS you will wonder just how you got along without it. The 4" sq sanders are good for in corners and the edge of boards but on large surfaces they are about half as fast as what you have. At one time I had a Milwaukee 1/3 sheet sander, one hand held the shop vac and the other held the cord to the sander. It would just float along and did a beautiful job. Not too fast but the end results were better than the ROS. Alas, someone decided they needed it more than and it's now not in my shop. I don't think I would buy another as the ROS comes close and is much faster. If you do decide to get another sander I second the suggestion that you look at those a shop vac will hook up to. My Ridgid ROS has a dist bag but with a shop vac almost no dust is in the air around the sander. As it happens I have a small BD vac with 1 1/4" hose that just fits the sander. The vac has almost no air flow but just enough to collect the dust from the sander and not suck the sander to the surface making it hard to use. The big shop vac did this.

Probably until you decide that the 1/3 sheet sander is too large or cumbersome it will compliment a ROS very nicely.

Bill

Comment

• yuri
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2008
            • Gaithersburg, MD

Guys, read your opinions about ROS, never thought about them. Sounded intriguing... And just got a flier from TylerTool with special on reconditioned Dewalt ROS.
            Oops. Now I am $50 less in my pocket and waiting for new sander. Will see how right you are ;-)

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

Don't forget the sandpaper. If you did not order some with the tool pick up a box or two so you have it when the sander arrives. I find I use a lot of 150 grit.

Bill,
              over here where it's still afternoon

Comment

• yuri
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2008
                • Gaithersburg, MD

And what type of sandpaper do you recommend for that sander? Since I discovered Norton 3X paper I forgot about any other. That what I used with my Chicago sander.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Well, if I think about it ahead of time I too use the Norton sandpaper. I think that Home Depot carries it, or I order it from whom ever I am placing an order with. If I run out and need some right now I use ACE brand because that is what is available. HD is 30 miles away and ACE is about 2 miles.

Like any sander the paper will clog up and then get hard spots that burnish the work with indentations. I use a wire brush and brush the paper with the sander running to clean the paper. I do this with the belt sander too. There is probably a good reason not to do this but I haven't experienced it yet. Just make sure the wire brush is never used for any thing with oil or grease on it.

If there is a significant other in your life about now is a good time to explain how woodworking, while seemingly expensive and time consuming is much preferred to drinking and carousing all night or racing fast cars and boats. That every now and then something useful may come out of it in addition to fire wood and it's much much less expensive than therapy!

Bill,

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

It may come with both the H&L and PSA ability. I prefer the H&L. Make a note on exactly what size (diameter), and how many holes (if any). You may want to start with an assortment of 80x-100x up to 320x. Try to find an "open-coat" type sandpaper.

Comment

Working...