X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LikesWood

Help a noob buy a router

Hi there,

First post here. I have the Craftsman Saw that's a BT3x00 clone (Which I love) and now I'd like to get a router. I barely know what routers do besides make some nice bevels on wood and are useful (?) for cutting holes but it's the last tool I really need to have all the basics covered.

I know I want a plunger/fixed base combo and 2.25+ hp with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I intend to use the router table on the Craftsman saw as my table unless I get serious and that it only accepts Ryobi or Craftsman routers, but this is easily modified to accommodate other routers(?).

Outside of this I'm kinda of clueless!

To complicate things, I recently got a GC for $250 @ Home Depot for my birthday, so that's where I plan to purchase. The only Router I see there that seems worthwhile (Based on reading and appearance) is the Rigid R2930. Are there any others I should consider? What are the must have accessories that may or may not come with a Router kit? Anyone know how returns with a GC work at HD? If they giv eback cash I could purchase, return and get the Bosch @ Lowes which I know is a standard (If that's even worth the trouble if the Rigid is good that is...).

Comments appreciated!
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

If I were you I'd save the card for something more pricey and buy this craftsman one. Excellent ratings as well on routerfourms.com

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...inate+Trimmers
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've had several and liked all of them for different reasons. If you ever plan to spin big bits like the 3" panel raisers, you'll want variable speed, but if not, single speed is fine and will open up several other possibilities.

Most of the big names are solid bets..Milwaukee, PC, DW, Makita, Bosch, Freud, etc. Find a deal on a router you like.

The Milwaukee 5615-24 kit is currently on sale for $124 shipped...great router, great plunger, but is only single speed. A speed controller can be added to it if necessary. The 5616-24 is slightly larger and has variable speed, and adds ~ $100.

The Hitachi KM12VC goes on sale pretty frequently and is a solid value.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
        If I were you I'd save the card for something more pricey and buy this craftsman one. Excellent ratings as well on routerfourms.com

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...inate+Trimmers
        +1 on this router. I really like mine, and the small $. Put the HD gift card toward a bigger purchase, or to get the Ryobi 1+ line if you need some cordless tools.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

The information already provided will get you to what you can use. You might have to do some drilling through the router base, in case screw holes don't line up. Just take your time to think things through, and you will have a great combo.

If you run into problems, there are people here who can make it less stressful.

Let us know how it came out.
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

I got this $99 Freud a little while back and I'm very pleased with it. It's the one I use in this router table extension.

Definitely check for deals...
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

There are a number of router combos in the 2.25 hp range that would suit you well. I got the Bosch 1617 EVSPK when I was faced with this decision. I know HD carries the Dewalt 3-base kit at about your price range, and it is well received. Porter Cable is the standard against which all others are compared, but their products sem to have been surpassed in recent years by a number of copetitors' offerings.

FWIW, I have found variable speed to be a useful feature.

As to the issue of mounting in the 22811 (I think that's the Craftsman model number you have), don't get hung up on Ryobi or Craftsman brands. If you have the router mounting kit, it includes an aluminum base plate. Aluminum is easy to work with, so drilling and countersinking holes to accept the router you choose is also easy.

You should get used to the idea that a router is a tool for which you will create extensive modifications, jigs and fixtures. As you are new to routers I will suggest that a book on the tool's use would be very helpful. Try Bruce Hylton's Woodworking With The Router. It will really open your eyes to, while de-mystifying, the versatility of this tool.

JR
              JR

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Not sure if HD carries but check out the Dewalt 618 combo.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Gator95
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Atlanta GA
                  • Ridgid 3660

Originally posted by b0330923
                  +1 on this router. I really like mine, and the small $. Put the HD gift card toward a bigger purchase, or to get the Ryobi 1+ line if you need some cordless tools.
                  +2. The plunge base is great. The fixed base has a couple of quirks, but definately livable for a $110 combo kit. The motor and speed control works very, very well.

Great combo kit for the price. I'd buy one again.

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Craftsman also sells "Professional kit" with 3 bases (plunge, fixed and D-handle). It is 2-1/4 hp just like you wanted and I believe it is made for Craftsman by Bosh. Effectively it is the same as 1617 but will fit into your table without modifications. It sells for $220 without special sales but often goes for $200. 3 bases means you can mount fixed base in a table and still be left with plunge and D-handle for hand use.
                    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...outer+d-handle
                    Alex V

Comment

• LikesWood

Originally posted by vaking
                      Craftsman also sells "Professional kit" with 3 bases (plunge, fixed and D-handle). It is 2-1/4 hp just like you wanted and I believe it is made for Craftsman by Bosh. Effectively it is the same as 1617 but will fit into your table without modifications. It sells for $220 without special sales but often goes for $200. 3 bases means you can mount fixed base in a table and still be left with plunge and D-handle for hand use.
                      http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...outer+d-handle
                      Is is really a 1617? This and no modifications looks appealing.

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LikesWood
                        Is is really a 1617? This and no modifications looks appealing.
                        AFAIK, Sears discontinued their red 1617....it truly was a 1617 with interchangeable parts between the Craftsman and Bosch, but had a different sub-base. You may still find some in stores though. I don't think the current 28084 is the same router, though it gets good reports.

Craftsman 1617
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	cman 1617.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	784539
                        Bosch 1617
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	bosch1617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	784540
                        Current Craftsman 28084
                        Last edited by Knottscott; 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM.
                        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Sears next to me (NJ) has them and I think you can order online too. It is a close copy of 1617. Different sub-base means it is made to fit "Craftsman" style of sub-base and attachments - that is why it will fit into Craftsman/Ryobi mounting plate with no modifications. It accepts Craftsman style of bushings and attachments but I think it also accepts Bosch style. It comes with dust-collection attachment bosch style for hand-held use. The only thing I am not sure is if the table in the saw is pre-drilled for above-table height adjustment. I know my BT3100 does not have provisions for it. The router has the wrench for above-table adjustment and you might have to make one hole to make this feature work for you.
                          Alex V

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

A router is functionally a very simple tool. The collet is tightened on the bit shaft and the motor spins it. Ask 20 people which is best and you might get 10 differnt answers.

As mentioned, several brands are comparable in quality. The 3 features I feel are important in any router are 1/4 and 1/2 shank capability, soft start, variable speed. Most of them will have all these features. Dual base kits are good to have.

The handles, switch location, speed adjustment, and plunge features are different on each router. Go to a tool dealer and get you hands on as many different brands as possible. You want one that feels good in your hands.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

Working...