• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Anyone ever have a blade warp in use?

This weekend, I was replacing some siding on the garage. I had to replace some of the sheathing when cutting the first piece of OSB, I noticed after the first 12 inches or so, I started having problems following the line. What I noticed was the blade itself developed a warp in it. After I was done cutting, the blade would straighten back out. I was using a Oldham plywood blade on my circular saw. Obviously, the heat from cutting caused the blade to warp. I've just never seen this before.

Has anyone else run into something like this? Once this happens, I'm guessing its best to toss the blade & buy a new one?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

How many teeth did it have?

Comment

• Santa Clarita Len
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Santa Clarita Calif.
      • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

Originally posted by jking
      This weekend, I was replacing some siding on the garage. I had to replace some of the sheathing when cutting the first piece of OSB, I noticed after the first 12 inches or so, I started having problems following the line. What I noticed was the blade itself developed a warp in it. After I was done cutting, the blade would straighten back out. I was using a Oldham plywood blade on my circular saw. Obviously, the heat from cutting caused the blade to warp. I've just never seen this before.

Has anyone else run into something like this? Once this happens, I'm guessing its best to toss the blade & buy a new one?
      This happened to me many years ago, all the saw wanted to do was cut circles but not straight lines. When I removed the blade to check, it was badly warped. I tossed the blade, I saw no way to correct it.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

I've never had that happen to me, but if it did, the first thing I'd check is whether or not the blade was properly tightened.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Warp Drive Please, Scotty...

Yes, I had the original 36T blade on my BT3K warp from overheating. It had a wee bit of wobble when it came up to speed and on final slow down. When at full speed you could not see the wobble. I must have heated up enough on some long rips to cause the warping. The local saw sharpening service said it was most lilkely due to improper ring tensioning when it was made. They were able to save it by retensioning the ring and resharpen it.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• jking
            • May 2003
            • Des Moines, IA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Ed62
            I've never had that happen to me, but if it did, the first thing I'd check is whether or not the blade was properly tightened.

Ed
            That was the first thing I checked. The next thing I checked was to see if the base was loose. Then, when I watched the blade closely while cutting & saw it go from straight to warped. I'm not out much, I bought the blade several years ago during one of Menards sack sales.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Sounds like a heat thing... I'd pitch it and use a fresh one. The kind with laser slots tend to run cooler.

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I was using a Oldham plywood blade on my circular saw.

I asked about how many teeth. If it was one of the fine tooth plywood blades, they can load up easily and not allow a clean feed.

Comment

• jking
                  • May 2003
                  • Des Moines, IA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  I asked about how many teeth. If it was one of the fine tooth plywood blades, they can load up easily and not allow a clean feed.
                  140 teeth, non-carbide. I was using that blade because I had to cut hardboard siding & wanted a nice clean cut. I realize I could have used a general purpose blade for the OSB, but, I've used the plywood blade for 3/4" plywood & 3/4" particle board and never had a problem like this.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  Sounds like a heat thing... I'd pitch it and use a fresh one. The kind with laser slots tend to run cooler.
                  For as little as I paid for the blade to begin with, I suspected tossing it out would probably be the thing to do. I could always save it & use it to cut dadoes.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

140 teeth, non-carbide. I was using that blade because I had to cut hardboard siding & wanted a nice clean cut. I realize I could have used a general purpose blade for the OSB, but, I've used the plywood blade for 3/4" plywood & 3/4" particle board and never had a problem like this.

For as little as I paid for the blade to begin with, I suspected tossing it out would probably be the thing to do. I could always save it & use it to cut dadoes.

That blade is designed to cut thin material, like 1/4" paneling. Try a 40T or less (for a handheld circular saw) carbide tipped blade and see the difference.

Comment

Working...