• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

We have 2 tri plexes (3 stories each) and when we're working on them we use plastic tote, sized to hold file folders, (like from Rubbermaid) to go from our house to the rental units. Comes in handy as you're carrying them up 3 flights of stairs and I'm not getting any younger. Easy to pack stuff you'll need and pretty easy to find the stuff in them as you're working.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I have a bucket boss. Actually I have two. They are multi-pocket bags that sit in 5gal plastic buckets. It is one of the most useful gifts I've ever gotten. It holds most of my general carpentry tools - util knife, chalk line, squares, small pry bar, etc. A while ago I also got some plastic trays at Walmart that I use to carry electrical and plumbing tools, one tray for each set. It helps keep things organized and when I am going to do a job I just pick up the tray for that job. Small tools like screw drivers and util knives I have multiple ones and put one in each set of tools.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Years ago I made a self standing tapered box/shelf thingy that clamped onto a standard hand truck. It was used to move hand and power tools to and from the truck and up elevators and such, any distance which made a hand carry difficult. A removable hand tote carried most of the hand tools. On the outside, a hand saw, 2' level, framing square, hack saw, and extension cords.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I'm making similar runs back and forth between Binghamton and Painted Post, about 70 miles one-way. I've been doing this for about three years now, as I renovate the future home and live back here in the "Post". One advantage is that I actually live a week at each place, but the disadvantage is I also have to cart clothes, food, and permanent move items as I finish up a room.

But to answer your question, many of my bigger tools are set up at the new home, but the hand tools that you mention do go back and forth with me. For that purpose, I have four large tool bags, one tool box with tray, and an open tool carrier with outside pockets ("Workforce"). My bags are those supplied with some of my Ridgid purchases and my tool box is a simple Stanley.

The thing with me is that I've organized the bags for the type of work and then within those, I have additional bags.

For example, all my electrical hand tools are in one "personal care" type bag. It's a simple canvas bag with a U-shaped zipper top. It holds all my electrical pliers, knife, wire strippers/cutters, screw drivers, etc. A second, duplicate bag carries all the electrical hardware: wire nuts, staples, panel nuts, etc., and a smaller pouch carries my meter and other electrical instruments. All that goes into the bigger, wide-mouth Ridgid bag, along with my fish-tape, electrical boxes and other electrical supplies.

Another bag carries my two nailers, supplies, air hose, and tool oil and related material.

Basically everything is just catagorized and bagged accordingly. It takes only a few minutes to load and unload and I generally limit what I have to carry up the stairs or to a particular room.

The exception of course is the tool box, which carries the hammers, chisels, punches, adjustable wrenches, and general "always needed for every project" type tools.

I do keep a tape measure, utility knive and a couple of screwdrivers and similar items in almost every bag/box. Some tools just need to be handy!

I've tried everything from bucket buddies to hanging bags for shoes to keep my tools organized. Problem gets to be what bag or where did I leave it? (I also found I was spending more effort to keep things organized then it was worth... so sometimes I figure it's just as easy to duplicate a tool here and there.

The way I have it now works fairly well for me, but then there are always those "where did that go" problems for some tools. That's the reason why I own several tape measure and utility knives, as well as more than my share of screwdrivers.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

How about checking out the Toolbox Book? It has a ton of different box ideas for all kinds of situations. I love this book.
            Joe

Comment

• Photojosh
              Established Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Washington (the state)

For whatever it's worth to anyone, I looked at the bucketboss stuff but it wasn't any better or worse in construction than the $10 Husky Home Depot one. so I bought one of those and a "homer" bucket last night. Sure, I've got buckets around. But this one was nice and clean, unlike my existing buckets.

Under $15 including the govt's cut. I'll report on how it works for me.

Comment

• Photojosh
                Established Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Washington (the state)

One thing I did find in my various searches is that Bucketboss makes (or made) a "crate boss" product that was meant to go over a milk crate:

http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Br.../dp/B000022445

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere. But I could see it having some advantages over a bucket style system. More stable for one thing and two handles for another.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

You don't need the actual Bucket Boss. I have one that I was given as a gift. I have another that is same thing but an off-brand. They work equally well.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

Not sure how much work you're doing each trip or how much you can plan, but I have one large plastic tool box that I keep a wide variety of tools and fasteners in. This handles the majority of repairs. But I also rigged up two smaller plastic boxes, one for electrical and one for plumbing. I keep everything I need for each type of repair in those boxes. That way I can grab the box I need and don't have to dig through a lot of excess tools to find what I need. Mother-in-law has a switch not working or need a light fixture installed, I grab the electrical box. Friend has a leaking toilet or new faucet to install, I grab the plumbing box. I usually buy a little extra when I go to the big box store, plus any extra o-rings, screws, or wire nuts left over from a repair go in one of my boxes. Having this set up has saved me a tremendous amount of time.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• Photojosh
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by crokett
                      You don't need the actual Bucket Boss. I have one that I was given as a gift. I have another that is same thing but an off-brand. They work equally well.
                      Sometimes brand names mean better quality and sometimes not. This time was a "not". But it didn't hurt to check.

Comment

Working...