Porter Cable Vintage Belt Sander (Gloat?) - Collectors Only?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buckeye95
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Columbus, Ohio.
    • Ridgid TS2400

Porter Cable Vintage Belt Sander (Gloat?) - Collectors Only?

All,

My wife asked me to stop by a neighborhood garage sale to look for kids clothes today, and low and behold I see an "old school" Porter Cable Model A3 3" belt sander there for $5. I picked it up and bought it, and the seller noted that he got it from his uncle who was a carpenter years ago and also that his uncle took really good care of his tools. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but as I looked it over I noticed how heavy it was and also the label on it about adding oil before use. I already have a cheap Ryobi belt sander, and I'm wondering if this is really an everyday WW tool or is more something for a collector. I'd probably consider selling it if it were a collectible rather then having it sit in my basement for the once in a while occasions that I use it (my WW time is limited between my job and 3 kids under 6 ).

Any thought?

Regards,

Pete
    Attached Files
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The sander was definitely a workhorse. It was called the "locomotive" sander. Is it collectible? Some may think so. Here's an ad listing it for $199.

Comment

• Charlie
      Banned
      • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
      Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I have a friend who has found three. One had to have some work done to it, and the guy offered him $400 for it, site unseen. I was told, if you found one in NIB condiion, it would fetch $1000.

My friend uses his two, and the third was found for another friend, who borrowed, and loved his.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• buckeye95
          Established Member
          • May 2003
          • Columbus, Ohio.
          • Ridgid TS2400

Thanks for everyone's comments !

Pete

Comment

Working...