• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Jet Xacta Lift

Any opinions on these? I have one that came with my Jet cabinet saw package. Never installed it because I'd already mounted a router in my BT3100 and continued to use it. In the new shop I will probably build a dedicated router table at some point and I'm wondering how the Xacta Lift compares with some of the alternatives.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

No firsthand experience, but I know that the JET Xacta lift is made by JessEm and AFAIK is identical to their "Rout-R-Lift" model. I have a reprint of an older WOOD Magazine review of router lifts, which has this to say:

"Rout-R-Lift fits more routers than any other in the test, and its mounting plate comes predrilled for all of the routers listed. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold a candle to [JessEm's] Mast-R-Lift (although they both share the same under-the-insert-plate leveling system). You can't raise the collet high enough to change bits from above, but a finger hole helps when removing the lift to change bits. And, the insert plate is about twice the size of the other lifts plates -- something to consider if you have a miter slot in your existing router table."

I own a Mast-R-Lift and am 99.44% satisfied with it. It does allow above-table bit changes and uses the defacto standard 9.25" x 11.75" plate. My only minor gripe is that the height adjustment scale cannot be zeroed out once you achieve a "baseline" setting. But it sounds like the Rout-R-Lift falls short of the Mast-R-Lift's feature set. I should mention that the WOOD review dates to 2002, so it's possible the Rout-R-Lift/Xacta design has been revised in the years since.

Offered FWIW.
    Larry

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

The plate is huge (11/14), but that's not a problem if I use it in the extension table for the Jet or build a new one (so long as it does not sag). I've figured out how to change the bits while leaving the router attached to the BT so I can probably manage in the Xacta.

An alternative I've considered is to buy a different lift that's being advertised in the Classifieds of this web site.

Comment

• DaveStL
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • St Louis, MO, USA.
        • Jet 10: Xacta RT

Xacta Lift Racks Out of Plumb

I bought the saw/wide table/lift package from Amazon when it was on sale a while back. I mounted a RE600 on it, and can replace bits from the top by reaching under to push the lock pin.

The problem is the router is heavy enough that the lift (which only supports one side of the router) deflects and the bit isn't quite square to the table, so it's usefulness is limited. One of these days I'll have to see if a machine shop can add guides on the other side (or just replace it and the extension table).

Comment

Working...