• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FL Buckeye
    Established Member
    • Aug 2005
    • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
    • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

I bought one this week while in Ohio. Only problem was I didn't have any discout coupon as we were traveling and had no access to a printer. But the closest HF to us in TN is 50+ miles at Knoxsville so I decided it was worth full price for some projects I have to do soon. One thing I noticed that hasn't been mentoned is that they have put the "pins" back in the spindle. The pins were there when the tool first came out but then was removed for a while. The store manager told me that it was because of a copyright/patent infringement but it was resolved.
    Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• wannabee
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007
      • USA,FL

does anyone know if the harborfreight has variable speed and if not will a router rheostat work with it OR do you really need variable speed with these.thank you again

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by wannabee
        does anyone know if the harborfreight has variable speed and if not will a router rheostat work with it OR do you really need variable speed with these.thank you again
        N?o variable speed on the HF model. From what I saw of the Dremel, Bosch, and Rockwell models, I didn't notice a variable speed there either... Does the Fein have VS? Frankly, I don't see much of a use for it...

Comment

• wannabee
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007
          • USA,FL

@BIGGUYZ

yes the above manufacturers you mentioned Do have variable speeds..that is why I was wondering....thank you for the reply

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
            N?o variable speed on the HF model. From what I saw of the Dremel, Bosch, and Rockwell models, I didn't notice a variable speed there either... Does the Fein have VS? Frankly, I don't see much of a use for it...
            When I tiled our kitchen (half way up the wall) in 2005, the VS came in handy. Slow sand speeds left a consistent but rougher surface which was great for adhesion.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

I believe the speed is different on different names. HF unit has 11000 oscillations per second while Fein I think is closer to 30000. With HF being so much slower than Fein I doubt I would ever need variable speed on a HF - I just can't think of reason to slow it further. Having variable speed on Fein might make sense.
              Alex V

Comment

• Ole Dog
                Handtools only
                • Sep 2009

Sonicrafter & HF Multifunction

I've used the Sonicrafter a year with very good results. It cuts well, but when fitted with the optional rasp attachment is excellent for smoothing and feathering. I bought the HF because I couldn't resist the price & was curious about the performance. The HF multifunction has a larger sanding head & a larger scraper blade then the Sonicrafter. To my surprise the HF does a better job scraping paint (seems to have more bite). I'm painting my 60 year old house (stucco & wood), I scrape with the HF and feather with the sonicrafter. It's saving time on the wooden frames & stucco cracks, so I may buy another HF & keep the sanding head on it. At $35 I think it makes sense.

Comment

• tjr
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • at the falls of the Ohio
                  • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

Or maybe only $30!

Comment

Working...