• Show
Clear All
  • Bob Crosley
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Valrico, Florida.

Any experience with Ridgid TS3612?

I'm still looking for a table saw.

I found a TS3612 (The gray, old-style Ridgid) used on craigslist for a decent price, just needs a new belt. (And a lot of TLC for the cast iron top.)

I know a lot of people loved the TS3650 (the orange saw) but can't find much about the 3612. Anyone have any experience with it?
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The 3612 was the last of a long era of Emerson made contractor saws that spanned from the much older Craftsmans until 1997, then the Ridgid line until 2004. It was American made and many felt the 3612 was the best of the Ridgid contractor saws.

If it's salvageable and the price is right, it should make for a good contractor saw. It'll accept updates to the motor, wings, fence, leg stand, etc., if necessary.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Bob Crosley
      Established Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Valrico, Florida.

Thanks. I emailed the owner. I realized the picture didn't show the miter gauge or the rip fence, so I asked if they were available. If they are, and the saw is in decent shape, it will be well worth the $125 they are asking for it.

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

the 3612 is everything the 3650 is. the most notable differences are the style of the CI extension wings, the color and the fact that the 3612 was made by emerson electric and the 3650/60 was made by one world techniologies. the trunions are the same and the fences and rails are identical. i have a 2412, which was a "junior" version of the 3612, that i have added accessories to ove the years so it performs like a 3612. i also own a new, in the box 3660. i am keeping the 2412 because of it's emerson heritage.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I own a 3612 and also feel it was the best of the bunch as far as RIDGID contractor saws are concerned. Besides the other differences already stated between it and the newer 3650/3660 saws, the 3612 also sports an Emerson Made in USA motor. The newer saws have Made in China motors.

If all the parts and pieces are there and in good working order, $125 for a 3612 is a great deal.

Comment

• Bob Crosley
            Established Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Valrico, Florida.

I haven't heard back on my email, but now looking at the pic, I can see the fence in the background. Everything is pretty rusty, but for $125, I should be able to spend some time cleaning. If the miter gauge isn't there, no big worries. They're not that expensive and not custom to the saw like a rip fence.

I think I need to make a trip down there once I hear back from the owner.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Comment

• Bob Crosley
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Valrico, Florida.

Quick question to those with the 3612: Can it use a link belt? Or do I need to order a special belt from Ridgid if I buy the saw?

I know many normally upgrade to link belts for other saws, but I see in reviews that the new granite topped Ridgid requires a special belt and can't take a link belt.

(I can buy a link belt quickly around here, but if I have to order a belt, that will take longer.

Thanks!

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Bob, a link belt will not work with the 3612 unless the owner changed out the pulleys. The 3612 uses a serpentine belt that you should be able to find locally. Try an auto supply store, if they don't have it in stock they could order you one. What you need is a Bando Rib-Ace 417-J or another manufacturers equal to that.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by sweensdv
                  Bob, a link belt will not work with the 3612 unless the owner changed out the pulleys. The 3612 uses a serpentine belt that you should be able to find locally. Try an auto supply store, if they don't have it in stock they could order you one. What you need is a Bando Rib-Ace 417-J or another manufacturers equal to that.
                  Bob -The serpentine belts are more aerodynamic, thus quieter than link belts, so there's not much incentive to replace the pulleys so that you can add a link belt.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Bob Crosley
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Valrico, Florida.

Is there an earlier version of the 3612 that came with stamped steel wings, instead of webbed cast-iron? This one has the stamped steel according to the picture.

Seller is out of town until tomorrow, so I haven't been able to get down there to see it, but he told me on the phone that he has the fence and miter gauge, and is just missing the belt. Should be a good deal once I can see it.

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by Bob Crosley
                      Is there an earlier version of the 3612 that came with stamped steel wings, instead of webbed cast-iron?
                      In a word, no. The 3612 and its predecessor the 2424 both came with CI wings. The earlier 2412 I'm not so sure about.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • westchester cnty, ny

the 2412, as shown here, came with stamped steel wings:

it was the entry level saw when ridgid table saws were made by emerson electric. the next unit up was the 2424 with the top of the line saw being the 3612. i have a 2412. it's a good basic saw but does not have many of the better features of the 3612. no: dual voltage motor, herc-u-lift, cast iron extension wings, eccentric lever for adjusting blade parallelism and a 24" rip capacity instead of the 36" rip capacity of the 3612. it will get the job done, but, in its stock configuration, it isn't up to the standards of the 3612. to help in the comparison, here is the owners manual for the 3612:

one thing in the 2412's favor is that it is a made in america product and it was manufactured by emerson electric. those saws were guaranteed for life based on the serial number; there was no need to register them for the lifetime service agreement that is available for all current ridgid power tools. i am not sure if that guarantee applies only to the original owner or if it applied to subsequent owners also. hope this helps. if i've stumbled over any mis-statments, feel free to offer up corrections.

one more thing. the front rail on the 3612 was a different shape than the 2412, the fence read rip capacities from both sides of the fence and it had a different locking mechanism and a fine adjustment feature.
                        Last edited by toolguy1000; 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM.
                        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Bob Crosley
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Valrico, Florida.

OK, It appears to be a 2412. So here's the big question. Is a 2412 in decent, working shape worth $100 used?

Comment

• sweensdv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • WI
                            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I'd say for $100 both parties will be getting a fair deal.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • westchester cnty, ny

as a 2412 owner, +1 on sweensdv's comment. if this is your first contractor's saw, it's a good starting point. in 4 years, i've never come across something it couldn't handle, within the constraints of its physical capacities.

Comment

Working...