• Show
Clear All
  • pbui3057
    Established Member
    • Jul 2008
    • Mather, CA
    • BT3000

Jet 10" Jointer/Planer

Has anybody seen one of these yet? Any reviews good or bad? I might be picking one up this weekend at Woodcraft. I read a few reviews on Amazon and they seemed positive for the most part. I didn't want to have 2 machines unless I needed them. This seems to be a pretty good solution. Thanks!

Paul
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

The current issue of Wood Magazine tests several models of jointer/planers. My copy is at my office, perhaps someone else has theirs handy and can give you an summation.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Wood did not test them but did comment on them,

"They displayed adequate power and cut quality but the short tables made it tough to work with long stock. and because the joiner tables do not lift up, we found it difficult to feed stock less then 1 1/2" thick into the planer because the tables get so close together. None of the tables can be adjusted to eliminate snipe or unparrallel surfaces. Still, they seem a good option for someone on a limited budget getting started in woodworking."

I think from the discription above that I would not like the machine especially the not planing smaller then 1 1/2 inch part. Most of what i plane is smaller then that. M 2 cents worth
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

I would pass on this machine. The reasons.

1. Length of the table is about the same as a benchtop jointer. Boards longer than about 4 feet will be a challenge to joint. (Also I didn't notice if both the in and outfeed tables were ajustable.)
        2. The description of the planer leaves me wanting. Could not eliminate snipe. You will learn to hate that.
        3. You can find excellent used planers and jointers purchased for the same total money and both with better performance.
        4. If space is an issue, put them both on rollers and move out of the way when not in use.
        5. If you get into larger projects this machine will leave you wanting for more machine.
        6. Buy once, not like I did.

Just my two cents worth. I had a bench top jointer, sold it. Had a planer that sniped every board, sold it. Just my $.02.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

I agree with the OPs. unless you really cant make the space for both I would pass on this unit. IIRC I also belive that he jointer fence is fixed which isnt great.

I am not sure what the best retail price is on this unit but based on the WC price of $419 with some patience and a watchful eye on CL you could pickup both a planer and jointer used for the same or less and get much more functionality.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• pbui3057
            Established Member
            • Jul 2008
            • Mather, CA
            • BT3000

I don't know what it is about Sacramento, but all we have on Craigslist are Craftsman jointers, which I am assuming are not that great, or benchtop models. As far as planers go, I can't seem to find anything other than handheld ones. Also everything on Craigslist seems to be overpriced when it comes to these 2 items. Oh well the search continues I guess. Thanks for steering me away from what would have been a disappointed purchase. $420 - 20% off was going to be nice though.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

some of the craftsman models are simply rebadged and are not to bad. Fundementally a jointer is a pretty simple machine. two solid tables, a fence, a rotating head a motor and belt.

I looked and there are no pics of the craftsman but it may be worth asking for some as I think one was $150. If you go see one, check the tables are flat and coplanar and that the fence is solid and will adjust easily to sq and stay there. As usual turn it on an make sure the motor works and sounds OK.

There was also what looked like a harbor freight jointer where the buyer just wants offers. I know folks have mixed feelings about them but why not offer him $50!!
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• master53yoda
                Established Member
                • Oct 2008
                • Spokane Washington

I have a craftsman jointer-planer 6 1/8" that is about 20 Years old it was made by king seely and has served me very well. I have seen them between 100 to 150 on CL many times and I would have no hesitation buying one again. they are heavey cast with a 3/4 HP motor.

They also made a 4 " with a 1/2 HP motor but I have never used the smaller one.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1164184580.html this is a planer in Sacramento like mine.
                Last edited by master53yoda; 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM.
                Art

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Also, when preparing rough stock, you wont be able to get one side parallel to the other using this type of setup. You would still need a planer.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by chopnhack
                    Also, when preparing rough stock, you wont be able to get one side parallel to the other using this type of setup. You would still need a planer.
                    No, that's the point ... the kind of machine being discussed here combines a jointer and a thickness planer into one machine. Apparently combination machines of this general type are quite popular in Europe, although I'm not sure why (Ray?). They resemble a jointer with wide, but fairly short tables; these fold up to convert the machine into a thickness planer, using the same cutterhead.

The advantage is that one machine takes less floor space than two; and you can face joint a board as wide as you can thickness. (The WOOD Magazine comparison test that Sam mentions used the analogy of hot dogs being sold in packs of ten, buns in packs of eight. That's comparable to what most of us have with our 6" or 8" jointers and 12" or 13" planers.) The main disadvantage of the combo machines, as has been mentioned, is that the tables are usually pretty short. There's also the need to reconfigure the machine for its two different operating modes, although that supposedly only takes a minute or so.
                    Last edited by LarryG; 05-13-2009, 09:41 AM. Reason: clarity
                    Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

I would pass on that machine. While it offers "multi-use", IMO it falls short of what the individual procedures attributed to the two setups. I have the same objection to other machines like the Shopsmith, which a few of my friends have. The only multi-use machine I am in favor of and like is the Woodmaster. Changing from one procedure to another for the Jet jointer/planer may require some setup time, the value of that time and the quality of the performance would not be as impressive or versatile as individually dedicated procedure machines.

Comment

• master53yoda
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2008
                        • Spokane Washington

I agree with Cabinetman on multiuse machines I have a shopsmith and the only thing I use it for now is the lathe and horizontal boring. Its just to much of a hassle changing it around to every thing else. The bandsaw and belt sander have been moved to their own power supplies because of it. The begining machine that started this thread was also the very low end of the combination jointer/planers. It was only 10" wide and the tables did not move out of the way for planing. I have looked at a grizzley unit and it does look good but I have less money in my whole shop buying through craiglist etc. over a coupe years then the 2500.00 the really usable combination jointer/planers cost. I spent the most money on my Foley/belsaw planer/moulder for 475.00 then anything else in my shop. It is the early version of the woodmaster that Cabinetman spoke of.
                        Art

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

[QUOTE=LarryG;410031]No, that's the point ... the kind of machine being discussed here combines a jointer and a thickness planer into one machine.

I still have to disagree Larry, you can joint one side, but after that side is jointed how will you get the other side to be parallel to the freshly jointed side? If you just pass it over the machine again it will be jointed and flat but not necessarily parallel to the original side. That is the purpose of the two machines used in conjunction. Have I missed something as to how the combo machine works?
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• just started
                            • Mar 2008
                            • suburban Philly

[QUOTE=chopnhack;410181]
                            Originally posted by LarryG
                            No, that's the point ... the kind of machine being discussed here combines a jointer and a thickness planer into one machine.

I still have to disagree Larry, you can joint one side, but after that side is jointed how will you get the other side to be parallel to the freshly jointed side? If you just pass it over the machine again it will be jointed and flat but not necessarily parallel to the original side. That is the purpose of the two machines used in conjunction. Have I missed something as to how the combo machine works?
                            The planer table is a different table below the cutter head, just like a separate planer.

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Have I missed something as to how the combo machine works?
                              Yes, it's as Just Started says ... you joint on the UPPER tables, with the cutterhead UNDER the workpiece; you thickness plane on the LOWER table, with the cutterhead ABOVE the workpiece. If you look closely at the picture that's linked to in the OP, you can see the lower, infeed table for the planer section underneath the infeed table on the jointer section.

Here's a review of a different JET combo machine. It's sort of a big brother to the one being discussed here, but they all work pretty much the same way. In jointer mode, the machine works exactly like any other jointer. In thickness planer mode, it works exactly like any other thickness planer (except for the height adjustment, in which the tables move up and down, while the cutterhead stays fixed). The same cutterhead and the same motor are used for both operations.
                              Last edited by LarryG; 05-14-2009, 07:17 AM.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...