• Show
Clear All
  • luteman
    Established Member
    • Dec 2007
    • Northern Michigan
    • BT3100-1

Fein Multi-Master knockoff by Dremel

I noticed my local BORG was selling what looked like a knockoff of the Fein Multi-Master by Dremel. It was selling for $99 for the complete kit which looked like a good deal for a tool I might use only once in a while. Has anyone bought one? If so, what are your impressions?
    Thanks in advance!
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

There is a pretty thorough review at tool snob

I looked at these and decided it was too light weight for many of the things I wanted to do with it.

I believe the "once in a while guys" are currently going for the Harbor Freight model for $40.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Don't have any of the knockoffs... Got the genuine article back when live.com had the 30% Ebay kickback. There should be plenty of manufacturers putting out their own versions now, though, since Fein's patent expired.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I have the Fein and can't complain about it. If the others work OK or even close to the Fein, then they are good tools to have and Very Useful! It does cutouts in straight lines for outlets without the mess of a rotozip. Sure saves a lot of complaints from people that are persnickety about dust flying around. Cuts door jambs, corner cuts and flush cuts - flush and I do mean flush - and without sawdust flying everywhere. Digs out grout when replacing tile without all of the dust - and in straight lines too.

. . . And they can cut casts off without cutting the skin!
        Last edited by leehljp; 04-03-2009, 08:33 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

I picked up the HF knock-off for $32 with a coupon. So far it's holding up great -- I've used it for a few projects. It's very useful for replacing rotting trim, for example, because you can accurately plunge in with your cut.

You do need to tighten down hard on the HF tool because I don't think they make them with alignment pins anymore.
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...