X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

Fein Multi-Master: Aftermarket blades from "specialtydiamond" on Ebay

While using my last good e-cut blade to cut out some framing, I inadvertently ran it into a framing nail... before I even knew what happened, half the teeth were gone.

In spite of the fact that I have a 2007 issue of Wood where there is a picture of the MM clearly sawing through a giant framing nail with an e-cut blade... you cannot cut nails larger than 2mm thick, perhaps finish nails and brads are about the limit.

So, I set off looking for some reasonably priced replacement blades, on Ebay, of course.

I found a company ("specialtydiamond") selling set after set of blades, in sets of 3,10 and 15.

They have 4 varieties: 1 1/8 wood, 2.5 wood, 1 1/8 bi-metal, and 1 1/8 "Japan" toothed.

They mostly sell 15 packs (5 each of the 1 1/8 wood,bi-metal and Japan). If you wait around, you can get them for $100, but typically they sell for $120 for a set (currently with free shipping).

Click image for larger version

Name:	450set.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	793570

Searching the individual's other listings, they also sell a Fein MM knock-off branded as SECCO.

If you do a search for "15 fein blades" you will find the ads. In each of the ads there is a video showing the guy zipping through a bunch of nails, some even seem pretty large. In the video he is going through them like they are made of butter.

Multimaster blade nirvana: reasonably priced blades that can cut through nails.

I got a set for $120 (shipped), that's $8 a blade. I'll try anything once.

They arrived in about 2 days from an individual's address (i.e. some guy is selling these out of his garage).

Having said that, they seem to be fine quality, well machined, no burrs, etc.

You can see from this picture how the mounting hole works on the star-post of the new MM, but in such a way that you can only mount it straight, or 90 degrees left or right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	450pack3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	793571

The very first thing I did was to put the bi-metal blade on and try to go through some nails.

I started with some normal roofing nails.

And while it did eventually cut through the nail, it wasn't fast like the video - it took about 30 seconds to get through each one. And, after going through the nail, the blade still had teeth. Next I tried the most likely thing I would run into with these: a drywall screw.

Well, that was more than it could take. I spent the next few minutes trying to buzz through it, watching the sparks fly and the teeth round.

I tried multiple speeds (fast, slow, in between), and the result was the same.

These blades don't cut nails like they advertise - [sarcasm] color me shocked [/sarcasm] .

So, $8 down , I moved onto the wood blades.

I first tried the fine tooth (on some 2x4 pine).

A funny thing happened to that blade - it was like it wouldn't seat correctly, and was making a funny noise until I turned the speed down. It didn't cut well at all in that mode.

I removed it and replaced it a few times until it would make a normal sound on high speed - then it cut like crazy.

Nice fine, precise cuts.

Next, I tried the Japan blade - this one seated fine and MAN OH MAN does it cut fast.

The cuts are not as precise, but it seems to cut about twice as fast as the fine blade.

So... bottom line... these seem to be a fine set of wood blades for the money, but as for the metal cutting... don't count on it.
    Last edited by DaveS; 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM.
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

One more thing: I am going to call the company and ask about the bi-metal blades and why I was unable to reproduce their video results. Hopefully they won't say something like "oh, those were aluminum nails".

Next I am going to try them on some harder wood, oak and maple - see how they do.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by DaveS
      One more thing: I am going to call the company and ask about the bi-metal blades and why I was unable to reproduce their video results. Hopefully they won't say something like "oh, those were aluminum nails".
      I was thinking "aluminum nails" even before I saw this post...

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I would like some round blades or at least the half round toothed blade - not the "grinder" type.
        Last edited by leehljp; 04-02-2009, 05:43 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bustedbolt
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007

hey I'm out of blades too. sorry to hear your not moving as fast as that guy in the video. I was eyeing that 15pc set.

I guess the main advantage is that "if" you hit a nail, your only in 8 bux not 18. That was my beef. but there are nails out there that will mess with anything... in remodel work. I know cause i busted-chipped a pair of knipex compound action 8" bolt cutters on a dang spiral nail in a staircase last summer. chaCHING (40$) after, of course, i hit it with a multiblade (15$).

I also noticed that ebay bladeset, that the japanese blade didnt seem to have very many tpi. 12 or so i thought. What do you think?

I saw another one called Imperial blades reasonably priced on ebay (10$+ each) and they have the "full" pattern for mounting the blade, not just the 90 degree pattern. But they have no Japanese blade.

This full pattern for rotation is what Al at multiblades got into trouble with getting sued for design infringement. he solved it by doing the North south east west pattern. His prices dont seem to be as competitive now that the fein blades are cheaper. But they are good blades but he didnt have a Nail blade available.

Then the other place, flushcutblades.com just up and disappeared with a message our products are no longer available.

another one is called yaeger blades. only on ebay.

lets see where this all ends up for consumers.

Comment

• Versa Tool
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2009

Aluminum nails?

The nails used in the video are in the picture below.

We can also post a follow up video and duplicate the results. As always, your recommendations and comments are always welcome.

Last edited by Black wallnut; 04-14-2009, 11:18 PM. Reason: fixing pic

Comment

• DaveS
              • May 2003
              • Minneapolis,MN

Versa Tool guy -

Thanks for taking the time to reply to our little forum...

I have no doubt you can reproduce the results... what I am wondering is why I can't.

Any advice? I am using the Fein Multimaster, if that matters.

I will sacrifice another $8 and try some nails like what you have pictured and report back.

Comment

• Who Fan

Originally posted by Versa Tool
                The nails used in the video are in the picture below.

We can also post a follow up video and duplicate the results. As always, your recommendations and comments are always welcome.

Where is the picture?

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Since the poster has not been back to our forum since first posting the pics I think you are out of luck!
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Versa Tool
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2009

Not out of luck...

The pictures had been uploaded to the site, maybe a site administrator could chime in on what happened to them. I will be sure to re post the pictures if they can't be recovered. Thanks!

Comment

• Versa Tool
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                      Since the poster has not been back to our forum since first posting the pics I think you are out of luck!
                      I'm not sure what happened to the pictures, I will be happy to post more if the question of performance still exists.

Also, I would like to extend a 20% discount, across the board, for all BT3 members. To order and get the discount you will need to call in and mention BT3 to our customer service department at 866-425-4693.

We now offer blades to fit all oscillating tools including Sonicrafter, Fein, Bosch, Dremel and so on...

To view blade the selection, you can visit
                      http://www.specialtydiamond.com/Shop...1653/SFV/32937

If, for some reason you feel unhappy with your purchase, give us a call for a full refund. I think I can trust the users of BT3 to be honest.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

The problem with the pictures is that they are hosted or were hosted on a remote server not under the control of BT3Central. If you use the forum built in picture hosting function they might display.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• HauntedBranch
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006

I have a Harbor Freight version of this machine. Which version blade fits that one?

Comment

• Versa Tool
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Apr 2009

Versa-Tool Blades

Originally posted by HauntedBranch
                            I have a Harbor Freight version of this machine. Which version blade fits that one?
                            We offer three types of arbors, all blades found here
                            http://www.specialtydiamond.com/Shop...1649/SFV/32937
                            &
                            will fit both the Harbor Freight, HARDIN, Bosch and Fein (Multimaster 250, and original round hole arbor) Model tool.

For Dremel

For Supercut
                            http://www.specialtydiamond.com/Shop...1651/SFV/32937
                            for Sonicrafter
                            http://www.specialtydiamond.com/Shop...1650/SFV/32937

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

I too have the Harbor Freight version. Have played with it just enough to know that I will be needing more blades should I ever really do some work with it.

My question is, what blades work best cutting nails, and is there a trick to it? I am residing my house one segment at a time, with lots of repairs under the new siding and have a lot of trim to remove. The trim is in good shape but what is under is not and I was thinking of using the Multi tool to cut the nails rather like with a sawzall but with out as much damage.

Bill
                              a glorious day, about 70 with a deep blue sky on the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

Working...