• Show
Clear All
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

Flattening a plane sole

I see the definition for this thread is 'power tools', but I guess it's ok to ask about hand tools also? If not, please move the post.
    When you are flattening the sole of a hand plane (a #4 Bailey, in this case), how high should you go on the grit to smooth it?
    I started with 120, it is now level (after 2 hours!). I guess I'll put some Johnsons wax ( no problem with this interfering with any finish, right?.) to make it glide smoothly.
    I've seen hints about everthing from 220 to 1200, but nobody seems to want to commit. Any suggestions?
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

250 to 350 wet in a front and back pattern then wax it i would thing would be good. mine isn't in that level but I don't use hand planes due to the problems it causes my MS so I'm just speaking about my metal back ground, My son is a machinist and he said that most surface grinders are about 300 and that would have been what the factories used.
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

When I do mine, the process is what ever necessary to start, (120 usually) then 220, 320, 400 then oil or wax.

The logic behind those numbers is; those are the grades of wet/dry sandpaper I have under the bench. at 320 - 400 you should have a really smooth and clear surface on the plane.
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Honestly, I think it is more personal preference (want to see your reflection/ego/obsessive?), and trial as to how well it works for you.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I usually go 180 through 400 grit wet, on a granite slab. Then a quick once-over with Flitz metal polish on a clean cotton rag. I finish with carnauba wax on the Beall buffing wheel. They'll really skate along after that. Then, repeat the Flitz and the wax as needed, until something gets out of flat again.

Comment

• pecker
            Established Member
            • Jun 2003

Two of mine were bad enough that I started with 80 grit...drywall sanding sheets.

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Consensus seems to say up to about 320-400, that's what I was looking for. I avoid mirrors, so I certainly don't want to see myself in the plane every time I pick it up! I was just looking for optimal without overkill for performance. Thanks to all!
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

I dont ever go into the 1000s but definately more than 120. 320 is where I usually stop unless I happen to have had a piece of finer grit already stuck to my plate glass sharpening station.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

320/400 range is more than sufficient. Also, the entire sole doesn't have to be lapped flat, although it won't hurt if it is. The main concern is that the toe, heel, and the area around the mouth are lapped smooth and level to each other.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                    320/400 range is more than sufficient. Also, the entire sole doesn't have to be lapped flat, although it won't hurt if it is. The main concern is that the toe, heel, and the area around the mouth are lapped smooth and level to each other.
                    I remember reading that in Lee Leonard's book and thinking 'well, ok just have to get those 3 bits flat.' Unfortunately, for whatever reason, these invariably seem to be the last bits to get flat! Sort of a tools Murphy's law?

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by herb fellows
                      Unfortunately, for whatever reason, these invariably seem to be the last bits to get flat! Sort of a tools Murphy's law?
                      Sometimes that seems true. I have thought about working with a machine shop for the initioal lapping, especially on #6 and larger planes, or borrowing time on an edge sander. I did that last on a couple of wooden planes.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...