Anyone have any suggestions on a tenon jig? Looking at the Delta 184, Grizzley, Shop Fox, etc. I nothing about any of them. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks.
Richard
I use a simple homemade jig available in the link to the old articles. I think it was Jim Frye that wrote the article. It slides on the rip fence and I use the micropositioner to move the rip fence in small increments. Works well for me. For instance, my current project is 4 kitchen chairs for my daughter with 22 tenons per chair. All cut with my homemade jig. For the commercial jigs, you need a miter gauge slot that is parallel to the blade. I have that but I still use my homemade jig.
I have the Woodcraft tenoning jig, which IINM is the same as the Grizzly, JET, Japan Woodworker, and maybe others. I bought mine from Woodcraft because it used to go on sale there fairly often for ~$60. I've not noticed if it's been that cheap lately.
It's an excellent jig; well- and heavily-built, and capable of producing precise and repeatable results. The scale pointer was a little off on mine, but a couple of minutes rebending it with a pair of pliers took care of that. I chose this model after two or three other members here gave it a thumbs-up. If you want a store-bought solution, it won't disappoint.
I think I remember seeing the Woodcraft jig on sale recently for about $50. It's back up to regular price now, though. If you don't have to have one immediately, I'd keep an eye on that one to go on sale again. Like others have said, it is a good one, even at full price, particularly if you can pick one up locally without the sometimes ridiculous shipping charges people are getting these days.
online at http://www.theFrankes.com
while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
"Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
Comment