X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FromWack
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2007

Portable Table Saw

I just sold my 21829 in favor of more of a job site saw. I haven't figured out which one to get, though I am leaning towards the Bosch. I plan to use it at jobs ( Not everyday, maybe every couple weeks ) and I plan to use it at home in my shop. I plan on buying a Rousseau table.

My question is if I am getting the Rousseau table anyway, which portable table saw do you recommend on the saw only. The fence, factory stand, etc. don't really come in to play.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Rousseau stand?
    Thanks-Mike
  • Red88chevy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Midland, Texas.

Mike I have no experience with a portable table saw, but hopefully some that have will chime in. I did see that table set up at a Woodcraft with a Makita portable saw in it and it looked great. Amazon has only average reviews on the Makita, but the Bosch seems to be well loved. There seems to be a trade off between portability and stability. Personally I like the looks of the Dewalt portable table saw mainly because of the roll cage looks like it would protect it well and the size would make it easy to carry around.

Comment

• FromWack
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2007

Thanks a lot for responding red. I became kind of anxious because I had already unloaded my 21829 for close to what I paid a year ago. I was leaning toward the Bosch because of the awesome reviews I heard of it. The Makita turned me off because of the non-standard miter slots, and I do have a lot of WWing projects that I do at home for fun.
      I ended up getting a great price on the Porter Cable 3128 from Amazon (399.00 with free shipping, free outfeed, free stand, and they threw in a $100 gift card to Rockler) The Bosch got great reviews mainly because of the fence system and gravity rise stand. Because I was getting the Rousseau stand, the only thing that really mattered was the miter slots and power. The porter cable seemed to be on par with the Bosch for $200 cheaper.
      I hope this can help someone that may be in a similar situation, but I will try to post some projects when the saw comes in and I have it all set up in the Rousseau stand.
      Thanks again.- Mike

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Doesn't the bigger makita portable have standard miter slots? I've seen them at woodworking shows and they looked 3/4 x 3/8 with a tee to me.

The Bosch 4100, apparently, suffers from an alignment problem. There was a thread at woodnet that indicated that they were unable to get the miter slots closer than .01" to the blade. After than, they ran out of adjustment room.

Just when I was thinking, "Oh, that is just a bum saw or something," another guy showed up w/ the same problem. Both users had called Bosch and complained and Bosch's answer was, "it is an onsite carpenter saw, .01" is as good as you need."

ANYWAY, poster #2 took his saw apart and drilled out one of the oblong thingies a little and was able to get his saw to .001".

Just thought I'd post that. I'm not sayng not to buy one of the 4100's. But check the parallel immediately, and if it is off, you may want to consider trying another saw or asking Bosch if they've come up w/ a fix, yet.

Comment

• FromWack
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2007

Thanks CG. I ended up buying the Porter Cable 3128 for a great price, and the Rousseau stand already came in! I have heard that about the Bosch, but it is tough to find in depth reviews of the PC. Any suggestions on checking the miter slots for parallel once the saw comes in? I do a good amount of crosscutting on my Makita SCMS, but would enjoy using some properly aligned slots for other tasks on the TS.

Comment

Working...