• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Riving knife retrofits?

Now that riving knives are becoming the new standard, what are the chances that Craftsman will provide retrofits for their zip code (e.g., 22114) saws? I miss the one I had on my BT3100.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi David - I'd be taking a wild guess about Sears offering one for that saw, but it's fact that there is one in the developmental stages that will fit. It's called a BORK (Bolt On Ripping Knife) that attaches to the arbor's swing arm and moves up and down and tilts with the blade. He currently has models for the Grizzly/Shop Fox cabinet saws and for the Sears/Steel City hybrids. I've had one on my Shop Fox 1677 since August, and it works well.

Here's a thread on another forum about it.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have serious doubts that Craftsman will produce a retro-fit, David. The Craftsman saw is produced by Orion which is a Steel City subsidary. I know the president of Steel City pretty well and he has not mentioned any request for a retro-fit in any of our conversations. That does not mean it couldn't happen but simply... not likely from the manufacturer.

Take note of Dustmight's post as the after-market riving knife he mentioned is indeed in the works.

Regards...

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

Dustmight, does yours work like the BT3's? I.e., move up and down along with the blade? Or do you have to manually adjust it separately from the blade? I notice that it's called a "ripping" rather than "riving" knife, and he says it works "like" a riving knife.
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It goes up and down with the arc of the blade, and once adjusted doesn't really need to be touched. It's path of travel is different from the BT's though....the BT's RK goes up and down vertically with the blade. Conventional American saws have an arbor on a swing arm that goes up and down in an arc pattern...the BORK follows the same arc.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• woodinville guy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Cedar Park, TX

riving knife for bt3100?

So.... Is there one that has been made for the 3100?
            - Dave

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

uh.....wodinville_guy, are you serious? BT3100 ships with RK. If you don't like that one, the shark guard and RK are pretty popular. If you didn't realize, no biggie, if you were joking, oops, sorry.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

It already has one from the factory.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• woodinville guy
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Cedar Park, TX

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                  It already has one from the factory.
                  uh, thanks, been so long since I've used the guard, I guess I need to find it.

thanks
                  - Dave

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

uh, thanks, been so long since I've used the guard, I guess I need to find it.
                    You're a braver man than I.

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, the standard BT guard is ok, but could be a lot better, thus the shark guard. Easy on/off of the guard while leaving the RK on that is just under the blade height, really nice setup, including DC on the guard.

I had one when I had a BT, best accessory I bought for it. Thinking of picking one up for my PM2000, which has a RK as well, but I have to remove it for non-through cuts and for my cross cut sled. I'd like to get a lower profile one that I could just leave in while letting me install a guard, ala shark.
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Kristofor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I loved the shark on my BT3. Great accessory, great usable and functional safety device.

I ended up going dark-side a couple years ago with a Jet 3-HP cabinet saw for under $700 when Amazon was doing some crazy pricing. I like the increase in power, table size, and mass (but I like and still have the BT3 as well), but the splitter/guard is a huge step backwards from the OEM Ryobi parts, and even further back from my beloved shark.

I would love an aftermarket riving option, but reading other threads about the BORK it doesn't sound like that's in the works for my model. If Bob or Lee (or whomever) can figure something out for a retrofit RK, I'd love to give them some money.

Comment

Working...