Questions for Unisaw owners

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 3061
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

    #1

    Questions for Unisaw owners

    I now have a new unisaw (36-955), the Platinum edition, right-tilt, 3HP.

    First - I am missing the blade-guard, and all it's pieces including the support rod on the outside, the lower and upper splitter bracket that goes on the rod, etc. If any of you has one lying around with no use for it, maybe you could PM me? See pics :




    Next, check this picture from the manual, on how the guard/splitter is held up within the cabinet :

    'J' shows the support-rod; the splitter sits on the tiny ledge of the bracket, to the left/above the hex-nuts.

    Now check the picture below from my saw. Funnily, this inside splitter bracket was mounted reverse on mine (double arrows); maybe because the guy I bought this from never used the guard/splitter so he didn't care. I was able to remove it and put it back in correctly, so no issue.

    But funnier is the small piece to the left of it (circled). I do not see this in any picture or text in the manual, and dunno what it does. I could remove it, but then the splitter bracket does not sit tight against the back (single arrow). Anybody seen this and knows what it does?



    It sits much lower than the splitter bracket, so would be no help to hold the splitter.

    Here it is in close-up, me demonstrating the spring action it has:
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • 4301
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

    #2
    The bracket was surely upside down, but the parts manual doesn't even show that spring loaded part.
    Spare parts?
    Lee

    Comment

    • poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • 3196
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

      #3
      Thats a pretty hefty spring so it must have been designed to place something under tension. I guess it may be an email/call to Delta.
      Jon

      Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
      ________________________________

      We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

      Comment

      • radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • 3061
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

        #4
        Lee, that's exactly my main problem : if the parts-list does not have it, who built it in? And as I said, I can't even throw it out - the bracket's bolt is too long by 1/8" to hold it firmly with this 'thingy' behind it.

        good thing is, it's not in the way at all, does not seem to cause any problem, so I could just leave it be. Still, very funny.

        yes, it has a pretty strong spring action - could have been use to keep something like the splitter in place without using a screw, but it's not in the right position to do it.

        maybe this might be a good way to test Delta's customer service - I'll try an email first.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

        Comment

        • cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • 4503
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

          #5
          Early prototype of the UniStop mechanism?

          Comment

          • SARGE..g-47

            #6
            I had a Uni-saw and no clue what that is? But... I would ask myself the question of does it visually serve any function? If yes.. leave it alone. If no.. you have an option to take it off or leave it since it doesn't interfere with anything.

            But.. out of curiousity.. I would e-mail call Delta Technical and ask if they have any knowledge of it? You might have to send an e-mail with a picture but I would be that curious. Let us know if you find out anything if you do as you certainly have my curiousity up at this point.

            I have a gut feel it was welded or bolted on after drilling a hole at some point for a previous owner to mount some type of after-market splitter. But that is just a gut feeling and not necessarily the correct answer?

            Comment

            Working...