• Show
Clear All
  • agent511
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • TS3650

ryobi wds1600 drum sander help

I need help with set up of a drum sander. I have had it for a while (bought used but excellent condition) and haven't had a lot of use till now, and also first time I am exceeding the 16" width limit, which exposed a sag in the drum alignment, gouging my project.

question 1. I read the manual regarding alignment. I must be missing something. They tell you what to do if the drum is low on the right side a little, and a second instruction if the drum is low on the right side a lot. I see NO instructions for what to do if the drum is low on the left side (more common, I would think, due to sag). They give you shims to raise the table on the left. So I figured I would put the shims on the right, which is a lot harder to get into, but do-able. Unfortunately, the bolt spacing is different on the two sides, so they aren't made to go on the right. I put them in on the right anyway (its being held by only 1 bolt), and it seems to be an improvement in alignment. Are there shims that are made for the right side? Why, in the name of intelligent design, do they not have a protocol to raise the right side of the table - or am I missing something obvious?

question 2. I have a really hard time loading the paper onto the drum. The right tension clip is a real b****. I was ready to give up when I finally got the strip into the clip, but it only goes in about 90%, leaving it a little loose. I figure I have to cut the paper down some, but wanted to check first. the paper I got is Jet paper for Performax /Jet 16-32.
    darksider
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

How low is the drum on the left side? I'd be inclined to remove the paper and try to measure the difference between the left and right hand side using a block of wood and some feeler gauges.

I know the machine screws used to hold the drum assembly to the "tower" are adjusted to prevent binding when raising/lowering the drum. Make 'em loose enough and the drum will sag. Have you checked those machine screws?

On the right-side paper clip, this is a tensioned clip. You need to pull it all the way up to the slot in the drum with your finger, insert the paper, and then release it so the spring can apply tension to the paper. I believe some people actually try to fish the paper through the slot in the drum, and then curve it down into the spring clip. This is very difficult, and will result in paper that isn't snug.

Once you figure out how that right-hand clip works it is actually pretty easy to change the paper and is quite ingenious.

Comment

• agent511
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Philadelphia
      • TS3650

Regarding the sag: I didn't actually measure it. When I put my door panel through, it gouged a little frim the left side of the drum, when I reversed the door panel, thinking the gouge would go away, it created a second gouge on the 'new' left side. That is how I know I had a sag. When I put the two shims (that I had) on the right side, it seemed to correct the problem (at least made it less noticeable) I didn't want to mess up any more panels though, so I switched to a random orbit sander. If I had shims that were designed for the right side, I would do trial-and-error till I got it right. I don't want to take the paper off because of all the trouble I had getting it on.

Regarding the right tensioning clip: Even with my small fingers, there is barely room to get a finger in there to pull it forward. So I developed a way to get a screwdriver in there to pull the clip forward and at the same time open the clip. Still I had to feed - push the paper through the slot and into the clip over a dozen times till I got it into the clip semi-properly. The right hand keeps tension on the screwdriver. Two fingers of the left hand feed the paper . Two other fingers attempt to keep the paper under tension against the roller. Most of the times, it would only go in 3/4" When I finally got it all in, it went in about 3", and there is still maybe another 1/2" extra, even when under tension - I think the paper is too wide for the slot at this point. I think I need to make the paper a little shorter and a little narrower to get it in all the way.
      Last edited by agent511; 11-02-2008, 10:01 PM.
      darksider

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

The manual has a diagram of the paper dimensions, you may want to check what you've using to see if it matches.

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

They tell you what to do if the drum is low on the right side a little, and a second instruction if the drum is low on the right side a lot. I see NO instructions for what to do if the drum is low on the left side (more common, I would think, due to sag).
          Actually, there are two parts to the second instruction: If the measurement at A (left) exceeds B (right) by more than .020", or if distance B (right) is greater than A (left), proceed as follows.

The second half of the second instruction seems to address your issue.

That's on page 13 of the manual.
          Brian

Comment

• agent511
            Established Member
            • Jun 2005
            • Philadelphia
            • TS3650

Brian G - I am embarrassed to say that I completely missed that in my haste. That completely will cure problem #1.

If I trim the paper a little, it should cure problem #2.

Thanks guys for your help.
            darksider

Comment

• Plyboo
              Handtools only
              • Apr 2018

Does anyone have a copy or would make a copy of the ryobi wds1600 owners manual will pay for it. Email me at plyboo@ aol.com if interested

Comment

• madeinhawaii
                Handtools only
                • Mar 2020

The King Canada 16/32 looks identical to the WDS1600 that I own. The manuals and such are on their page here.
                • 16" Open Drum Sander • Ball bearing die cast construction • Easy clamping sanding belt loading system dust chute

Comment

Working...