Bought the HF HVLP Sprayer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • docrowan
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 893
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

    #1

    Bought the HF HVLP Sprayer

    I've just bought the HF HVLP Spray Gun Kit (the one with the built in compressor turbine). I have a rocking chair to paint this weekend and I plan to use a water base enamel. I've read in previous threads that I need to be sure to thin the paint to approximately 25 to 30 seconds. I've never used a spray gun before so any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    - Chris.
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • 1829
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

    #2
    I thinned partly with Flotrol, partly with water, to increase the flattening. Didn't do a side-by-side comparison with plain water, so I don't know if it helped. I do know that it took many thin coats, and that sanding every few coats with fine sandpaper resulted in real good results. Next time, I'll thin with Resisthane (a water-borne polyurethane) to increase the durability.
    - David

    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

    Comment

    • pcombs
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2006
      • 78

      #3
      I just sprayed Maple with some non-poly varnish and it came out very well. I did slightly thin with mineral spirits. I also sprayed 1lb cut dewaxed shellac followed by the non-poly varnish (Zinsser Quick 15) and that also came out beautifully.

      The trick is, use the smaller needle - avoid orange peel, spray one thin coat at a time (Do not be tempted to go over an area or you may have a run).

      Comment

      • jking
        Senior Member
        • May 2003
        • 972
        • Des Moines, IA.
        • BT3100

        #4
        Originally posted by dlminehart
        I thinned partly with Flotrol, partly with water, to increase the flattening. Didn't do a side-by-side comparison with plain water, so I don't know if it helped. I do know that it took many thin coats, and that sanding every few coats with fine sandpaper resulted in real good results. Next time, I'll thin with Resisthane (a water-borne polyurethane) to increase the durability.
        I also thinned with Floetrol & water when using this sprayer for water based paints. I didn't sand between coats, but, still had good results. It may take a little time to get it set up, but, it should work well.

        Comment

        • AlanWS
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • 257
          • Shorewood, WI.

          #5
          Make sure you try it first, before spraying your chair. The challenge is to get the finish to come out slowly enough for a thin coat. Try the various needles that come with the HF unit, though I think they may be optional for the otherwise identical Rockler one.
          Alan

          Comment

          • docrowan
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2007
            • 893
            • New Albany, MS
            • BT3100

            #6
            Oh my goodness! I finished the rocking chair, plus put several coats on an unpainted door before I ran out of paint. I had no idea what I was missing. This HVLP sprayer is fantastic.

            I used a relatively cheap latex enamel from Wal-Mart and it laid on glass smooth. Took about 4 coats, but I didn't prime before I started and I was covering strong primary colors with plain white. I'm sold now.

            One question, is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of overspray? I still got a good bit of overspray even though I understood HVLP's create less of it.
            - Chris.

            Comment

            • dlminehart
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • 1829
              • San Jose, CA, USA.

              #7
              I don't think you can reduce the overspray. Be glad you're using HVLP . . . imagine getting about 5 times as much overspray!
              - David

              “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

              Comment

              Working...