Sharpening lube

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 3196
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

    #1

    Sharpening lube

    Having spent quite a few hours on Sunday, cleaning, regrinding and sharpening "grandpa's chisels" I was wondering what lubrication y'all use when sharpening with oil stones and/or scary sharp. Ive used a commercial "sharpening lube" (dont recall make) and WD40 but wondered if there was a better option.

    It would be nice to have a set of water stones but I dont and the crystal ball doesnt show any in the near future either

    If you dont remember the original "grandpa" thread you can see it and them here. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=40010
    Jon

    Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
    ________________________________

    We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • shoottx
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • 1240
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

    #2
    Jon

    Since I use wet dry sand paper with the veritas mark 2 to sharpen I use water as the lube.

    When finnishing, I wipe the blade of with a paper towel and use either Carnuba oil or corosionX.
    Often in error - Never in doubt

    Mike

    Comment

    • Len
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2007
      • 50
      • Cary, NC
      • BT3000

      #3
      For oil stones I use the same plain old mineral oil I use on my cutting boards.

      Len

      Comment

      • poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 3196
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

        #4
        I have heard some folks say baby oil, anybody tried it?
        Jon

        Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
        ________________________________

        We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

        Comment

        • bthere
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • 462
          • Alpharetta, GA

          #5
          On oil stones, I use mineral oil - cheap and available in the shop all the time.

          With scary sharp, I often use it dry for honing, but for sharpening, I use water on a chunk of marble. The marble is flat enough and when wet, the paper stays in place on it.

          Water stones, I use water.

          Comment

          • poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • 3196
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

            #6
            Originally posted by bthere
            On oil stones, I use mineral oil - cheap and available in the shop all the time.

            With scary sharp, I often use it dry for honing, but for sharpening, I use water on a chunk of marble. The marble is flat enough and when wet, the paper stays in place on it.

            Water stones, I use water.
            Home do you distinguish where sharpening and honing meet?
            Jon

            Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
            ________________________________

            We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

            Comment

            • bthere
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • 462
              • Alpharetta, GA

              #7
              Originally posted by poolhound
              Home do you distinguish where sharpening and honing meet?
              Depends on what I am doing. I tend to hone blades frequently rather than sharpening infrequently. With sandpaper, I think of sharpening as grits up to 1200. Beyond that, I think of it as honing. I guess it is more of my own mental separation.

              I usually keep a piece of 1500 and 2000 stuck down next to the lathe and use that to hone skews rather than grind them.

              Depending on where I am, I will use the same stuff to touch up plane irons and chisels, and sometimes a leather strop with green compound if I really need to polish up an edge for tough grain.

              If I am not going to be working in the shop near the bench with sandpaper, I have a small pocket stone that I use to touch up blades as they diminish.

              Comment

              • poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • 3196
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

                #8
                when it comes to honing has anybody ever tried to use autobody rubbing compounds such as this?

                http://www.autobarn.net/ch08610.html

                As I was sorting through the garage last weekend I came across a tub and thought "hmmm its a fine abrasive I wonder if that might work with sharpening."

                Anybody know what type of "grit factor" it would equate to?

                I know I hijacked the original thread a bit but I did start it
                Jon

                Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                ________________________________

                We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

                Comment

                Working...