Alumiweld--anyone try it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 4503
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

    #1

    Alumiweld--anyone try it?

    These intrigue me. I once saw infomercials with the same type of product (it could be exactly the same for all I know--I can't remember the particulars). Anyway, the Harbor Freight page reads:


    WELD ALUMINUM WITH A PROPANE TORCH!
    Now you can weld aluminum with any low temperature torch--even a propane torch! Amazing technology makes a stronger weld than the parent material without flux or other welding material. Alumiweld makes a stronger weld than the parent material.
    • Stronger than aluminum
    • Harder than mild steel
    • Non-toxic
    • Low working temperature (730° F)
    • No flux or fumes
    • Excellent corrosion resistance
    • Minimize parent material distortion during welding
    So how can these be stronger than aluminum, harder than mild steel, and still melt with a propane torch? 730-degrees seems like a pretty low melting point, doesn't it?


    Link here:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44810
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 4217
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

    #2
    I know very little about metals or metalworking. I'm wondering if it is some sort of chemical thing making it harder.

    Their website http://www.alumiweld.com/index.html mentions "A Breakthrough in Alloy Technology".
    Erik

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      This could be the same material. Melting point for aluminum is fairly low.
      .

      Comment

      • Uncle Hook
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • 314
        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

        #4
        I believe Alumaloy was the name of product being advertised on a TV via a 30 minute infomercial. Here is a FAQ for a competing product.

        http://www.aluminumrepair.com/faqs.asp

        Earlier this year I purchased some aluminum braising rods for $20 at the NJ woodworking show, but I have not tried them yet. I don't recall the brand.

        Comment

        • Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • 2913
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

          #5
          It is certainly not a true weld, there is no fusing or even melting of the base materials another indicator is that it will "weld" zinc based materials and steel. it is impossible to truly weld those materials with an aluminum rod. it will it is probably more like a solder or braze. being stronger and harder are not necessarily good features but also not hard to achieve.

          the HTS-2000 link does claim it is a brazing rod but has pretty bad factual errors on it's FAQ page.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

          Comment

          • pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • 4217
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

            #6
            I didn't read all the links extensivly but I saw some detailed instructions on Eastwood's site. I don't know if the proceedure described is even close to real welding or not.
            Erik

            Comment

            • LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • 4890
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

              #7
              Not real welding, more of brazing, but can be usefull in some instances. I've seen the rod at the shows for the last few years, and my father picked some up (I told him not to). He gave me a batch and I found it a few minutes later for a LOT less (Northern tool). Now lots of places seem to carry the stuff.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

              Comment

              • Uncle Hook
                Established Member
                • Apr 2005
                • 314
                • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

                #8
                The brazing rods I purchased at the NJ woodworking show are called HTS-735-11. I paid $20 -$25 for a pack of 25 rods.

                Here is link to a discussion about HTS-735-11 on the Hobart Welding forum.

                http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=10709

                Comment

                Working...