• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rollo
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • tacoma, wa, USA.

HF BS guide upgrade

Dunno if this has been posted before, but I've found another HF BS upgrade. I was jealous of the guys that can cut dovetails on their BS (tails anyway), and mine won't let me due to accuracy/blade movement. Since the HF BS is a Jet clone, I wanted to order some new guides. The carter guides were a bit spendy, so i found the jet roller guides (P/N JRBG-14), best price at: http://woodworkersshop.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=758 .
    Anyway, these guides fit and work great! The one adapter you need will be a 7/8" OD, 3/4" ID bushing or sleeve bearing, 3/4-1" long (or so) to adapt the upper guide to the adjustment rod. Drill a hole in the bushing for the set screw, add super glue and voila! High end guides that hold your blade MUCH better than the stock ones. Haven't cut dovetails yet, but I think I have a fighting chance now. Cutting tenons may also become a reality.
    -Rollo
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Nice work.

Do you just leave the "standard" guides under the table, then?

Comment

• rollo
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2005
      • tacoma, wa, USA.

No. The Jet guides include the top and bottom. The bottom guide bolts right into the existing holes. No mods needed.
      -Rollo

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by rollo
        No. The Jet guides include the top and bottom. The bottom guide bolts right into the existing holes. No mods needed.
        Then that is an especially good deal, no?

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Glad to know this. Thanks for posting it.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• AlanWS
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Shorewood, WI.

Do they really guide the blade better than cool blocks (or maple) set touching the blade?
            Alan

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by AlanWS
              Do they really guide the blade better than cool blocks (or maple) set touching the blade?

My current (possibly temporary) 21400 bandsaw uses roller guides. They actually do an excellent job guiding the blade. Some of the typical complaints I have head are that they are noisy (hard to disagree), that they can pack sawdust onto the blade instead of scraping it off like HSS or other guides do (I haven't experienced this--but I don't work with much soft wood).

The guys over at owwm.org insist that HSS is still the best way to go. One of the users did a test and found that HSS bits touching the blade (but not the teeth) caused less friction than Cool Blocks. And there is no argument that they will require less dressing than softer alternatives.

I recently tried ceramic blocks on my Inca before selling it. Those worked nicely, too.

Comment

Working...