• Show
Clear All
  • JeffG78
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
    • BT3100

Finally, a gloat for me

Well, it's not a woodworking tool, but a score any way you look at it. I was working out in the yard today and the neighbor across the street yelled over to say "hi" to me. He called me over and said that his pressure washer was giving him trouble and that he had sent his nephew to go buy a new one. He asked if I wanted his old one. Of course, I said yes He said that oil drips from the exhaust and that he doesn't want to deal with it and that he's sure I could fix it in ten minutes, but he didn't care. He went on to say that he had only used it about four times since he bought it. After getting it home, I checked out the model number on the web. It's a commercial DeVilbiss model with a Honda 6.5HP engine. I found one online for just under $800 new and a used one on ebay for $500!

I fired it up and it ran great other than the oil issue. I'm almost sure that it happened when his kid was using it a few weeks ago and it fell off the porch and landed on its side. They shut it off right away, but it did lay sideways for a good minute before they got around to picking it up. I think the oil probably got into the intake and exhaust. I ran it with the air cleaner removed and it didn't smoke or drip until it was fully up to temp. I put the air cleaner back on and it started exhibiting the symptoms again. I will tear it all down and rebuild it as needed, but it can't cost very much to repair. I doubt it has any serious engine problems with the low hours on it. I have been wanting to get a pressure washer, so even if I have to buy a few parts, I will wind up with a quality unit for a fraction of what a discount brand would cost.
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Nice! I need more neighbors like that!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Sounds like a great score. Nice neighbor.
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Great neighbor! Enjoy your find!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...