So where do I get some turning tools?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 3061
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

    #1

    So where do I get some turning tools?

    Now that I have my own nice lathe , where do I go for a beginners set of tools/chisels/whatchamacallit?

    Is this from HF good enough ?


    (image links to the page)

    note that it does not have any bowl gouge.

    How about this one from Amazon?


    And being HSS, will these chisels need constant sharpening?

    Woodcraft sells sets at around $300. Dunno what value that gets me, but I can't afford that sort of money at this stage.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    HSS holds an edge much longer than cheap tools. You put an edge on, and then hone with a diamond hone between sharpenings. How often is a function of what and how much you are cutting. The basic rule is to hone tools to keep them sharp, not to get them sharp... Once you have some lathe time under your belt, you will know when it's time... You can hear and feel it in the cut. For good tools, WC or LV will get you there, but I suggest a less costly (still HSS) "starter set" first. With those, you'll learn which tools you really will use the most, and where you may be lacking. Then you can "fill in" or upgrade to higher-dollar tools without buying any that you won't need.

    I know people who use the HF tools, but as always with HF, YMMV.

    Comment

    • Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • 3152
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

      #3
      pennstateind.com has very nice tools for nice prices. get the benjimin's best versions.

      I am one who won't recommend sets anymore for the simple reason that I don't use all the tools. Now I do mostly spindle work so far, and I rarely touch my gouge. I use my Skew 95% of the time and the parting tool the other 4.9%.

      I've read a lot of articles on turning and seen that many dedicated bowl turner seem to favor a gouge in about the 1/2 range and never touch anything else.

      So what I would do is buy tools as you need them. If you are going to be mainly making bowls, start off with a nicer bowl gouge and a parting tool or scraper. As you see what else you need fill the slot with a better than basic tool.

      I recently bought a 1 inch skew for about $45 (moved up from a 1/2 inch) and man does it feel better. The 1/2 came in a three piece set that was about $50. Oh and make sure you get the longest handles you can find.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

      If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

      Comment

      • ke4rdb
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2006
        • 83
        • Mooresville, NC
        • Ridgid TS3650

        #4
        The Red Handled set from HF is a very nice beginners set of tools and can be bought for under $50. This set has been recommended for years. Add a 1/2" Bowl gouge and you will have tools to turn everything from spindles to bowls. If you are trying to get a set on the cheap look at the Benjamin Best 1/2" Bowl Gouge (3/8" English) for under $25.

        James
        Credidi me felem vidisse!

        Comment

        Working...