• Show
Clear All
  • avaserfi
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Ames, IA
    • No room for one - yet. :(

Circular saw needed to cut ply for cabinets

I am in the process of looking for a circular saw that can be used to cut perfectly square on raw 3/4" ply as well as other woods. I would ideally want a table saw, but have no possible way to fit one in my current living conditions (see: apartment). That being said I am trying to find the best way to cut extremely accurate straight lines and have been going around looking at various circular saws.

I would like to keep it under $200 and have been looking at the Dewalt DW364 which retails for about $160. From what I can tell and have been told/read the base to this saw is incredibly rigid - more so than anything else in its class.

So does anyone have any suggestions on another model to look at? I am open to pretty much anything as long as it is quality and will last.
    -Andrew
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

I have the Bosch (can't remember the model right now) that you plug the extension cord into the back of the saw. It's fairly light, dead accurate, and includes a rafter hook. I thought the rafter hook would be useless for me, but it's handy to hang the saw on a sawhorse while I'm adjusting clamps or whatever else you need to do. Sure beats bending over and picking it up off the ground.

Search for instructions for making a saw board--it will be more accurate than the usual adjustable fence, and you make one specific to your saw. Sorry I'm too lazy to provide a link; the Cards are playing so I'm preoccupied.

Happy shopping!

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• avaserfi
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2007
      • Ames, IA
      • No room for one - yet. :(

Originally posted by gsmittle
      I have the Bosch (can't remember the model right now) that you plug the extension cord into the back of the saw. It's fairly light, dead accurate, and includes a rafter hook. I thought the rafter hook would be useless for me, but it's handy to hang the saw on a sawhorse while I'm adjusting clamps or whatever else you need to do. Sure beats bending over and picking it up off the ground.

Search for instructions for making a saw board--it will be more accurate than the usual adjustable fence, and you make one specific to your saw. Sorry I'm too lazy to provide a link; the Cards are playing so I'm preoccupied.

Happy shopping!

g.
      Thanks for the reply. I have a few Bosch tools and like all of them very well. I just don't like buying off brand alone. As far as a cut board goes, I have plans for one that will work with any saw and will allow for dead accuracy.

I have a little time before I make the purchase and figure I should make sure that I do my search . Thats the main reason why I am still looking. I just want to make sure I get one of the best I can buy.
      -Andrew

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I like my Milwaukee with the adjustable handle alot. it would fit your needs. If I were going to only do plywood I'd buy a smaller saw like a Porter Cable's 4-1/4" trim saw.

Bosch circ saws are top notch, you wouldn't have any issues with one of their offerings
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Cutting straight lines may have more to do with just using a good straight edge than the saw. As for saws, you might trot down to the big box stores and hold different ones to get the feel. I would try to get one with as close to 15 AMPS as possible, preferably 15 AMPS. If you're just going to buy one saw, I would rather go for a full size one over the trim saw. The little trim saws are easy to maneuver, but have their limitations. They are great for cutting paneling.

I also suggest considering a "worm drive" (hypoid) saw. They are a dream to use and the blade is usually on the left of the motor. As for regular circular saws, Porter Cable has a "blade right" or a "blade left" model.

Hey, if you buy a saw, keep the receipt and take it back if there's something you don't like. There's no better test than actually using it. Using an appropriate blade for the procedure will maximize the performance of any saw.

Comment

• just started
            • Mar 2008
            • suburban Philly

Whatever saw you end up with, if you intend to make finish cuts with it put a zero clearance footplate on it to reduce tearout.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

If you go with a cheaper saw, get a good blade for it. That will improve its cutting ability more than anything.

Also, here is a link to a sawboard. This will help with straight cuts more than anything.

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

I have one that I use for my router and circular saw.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• steve-u
                Established Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Bartlett, Ill.
                • Ryobi BT 3100

I would think any "quality" circular saw that fits you well could do the job but keep in mind that you are going to be using a guide so you want a circular saw that has a base that would do that well as some are "thicker" on the side than others such as the Bosch with the composite base or the Porter Cable with the magnesium base. Also the proper blade for plywood is needed. See the link below for a great video on how to cut plywood as you want with a circular saw.

Steve

Cutting plywood on the tablesaw can be difficult because you have to move the unwieldy 4x8 sheet across the blade. A better solution is to move a circular saw over the sheet. For rips, the saw table rides next to a guide strip and for crosscuts, a fence squares the jig to the work. Watch as Gary Katz, Reseda, California, carpenter and writer, demonstrates the use of these two easy- to-make jigs. Use the jigs to build the project described in Gary's article, A Bookcase That Breaks the Rules.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

A very easy jig to make works like a "T" square. It can be made to any length and sets up in seconds. After it's made with the saw, cut off the short leg to the right as the "cut line". No clamps are needed.

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

I bought a Ridgid R3200 specifically to use for cutting down 4X8 sheets of plywood. It has a good, smooth sliding square base and fairly easy adjustments. The stock blade is a thin kerf design and cuts smooth. I made a saw board similar to what Crockett and Steve-U mention in their replies and it works great. Mark your cut line, align the edge of the saw board right on the line, then clamp it. I also made a cutting grid I set up on saw horses to lay the sheet goods on so I wouldn't have to crawl around on the floor.

Be sure to remember that the saw blade protrudes down through the sheet goods. Make sure you adjust the depth of cut to just a tiny smidge over the width of the sheet good plus the width of the sawboard base. This way if through extreme carelessness your hand winds up under the cut line you'll only get a nasty cut instead of missing fingers. We had an OBGYN in our town not only lose four fingers but also his career due to this. In my opinion, the handheld circular saw is the most dangerous tool the average person can own - it's very powerful, easy to disrespect, and is quite often used when you are hot, tired, and in a hurry.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

I love my PC. It has GREAT dust collection, so if you're working indoors this is a real benefit. It's also very sturdy and accurate and well-balanced.

Make sure to get a good plywood or finishing blade (Freud is very good). Used with a clamped straightedge, you should get excellent results.
                      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Another thing, if you are going to be cutting a lot of ply, make yourself a 4x8 grid of either 2x stock on edge or ply on edge. The ply grid will be lighter. Make the spaces in the grid 12"-16" wide. When you lay it across your sawhorses it will support most any size cut you have to make. Set the depth of the cut just proud of the thickness of the ply you are cutting.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by avaserfi
                          Thanks for the reply. I have a few Bosch tools and like all of them very well. I just don't like buying off brand alone. As far as a cut board goes, I have plans for one that will work with any saw and will allow for dead accuracy.

I have a little time before I make the purchase and figure I should make sure that I do my search . Thats the main reason why I am still looking. I just want to make sure I get one of the best I can buy.

Sounds like your looking at the EZ Smart? If so, you might look at his presetup tools.

I have the PC 424 (left handed), and the Bosch CS20 setup for this.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• garymuto
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Encinitas, CA
                            • Delta Cabinet Saw

I have PC Blade left and really like using it. The dust collection is pretty good too.

Comment

• iceman61
                              • Oct 2007
                              • West TN
                              • Bosch 4100-09

I am in the process of looking for a circular saw that can be used to cut perfectly square on raw 3/4" ply as well as other woods. I would ideally want a table saw, but have no possible way to fit one in my current living conditions (see: apartment). That being said I am trying to find the best way to cut extremely accurate straight lines and have been going around looking at various circular saws.
                              No matter what circular saw you have, it's only as accurate as you are in keeping it square against your straight edge, and your straight egde needs to be ridgid & not flex. If you truely want "to cut extremely accurate straight lines" then invest in an EZ Smart or Festool system.

I would like to keep it under $200 and have been looking at the Dewalt DW364 which retails for about $160. From what I can tell and have been told/read the base to this saw is incredibly rigid - more so than anything else in its class.

So does anyone have any suggestions on another model to look at? I am open to pretty much anything as long as it is quality and will last.
                              I have the DW364 & it is a very good saw. Ridgid & Milwaulkee also have a good saw. If you look around at your local Lowes, you might find a great deal on a Milwaulkee 6390-20 since Lowes is closing them out. I saw one on the clearance rack yesterday at my local Lowes.
                              Last edited by iceman61; 07-14-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...