• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjwaldren
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Fresno, CA

Delta 28-195 10" bandsaw advice???

There's a local CL listing for a Delta 28-195 10" bandsaw @$100 excellent condition.

Are there any experiences/opinions on it?

I'm seeing fairly mixed reviews, and of course the 7" resaw ability is a bit of a long shot. I've been looking at benchtop models and this seems like it could be a step up from most benchtops. I'm mostly looking for pattern cutting and don't foresee stock thicker than 8/4.
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

I had one like that till recently. It did fine but you are right about the resaw being limited. I did resaw 6" several times but you had best not be in a hurry. DC is surprisingly good but I was ready to upgrade not long after I got it due to lack of power. The table area isn't much bigger than the bench tops and it has a bigger foot print if space is an issue. It did fine for what I used it for but it was an impulse buy I would rather not have made.

Comment

• rjwaldren
      Established Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Fresno, CA

So you found it underpowered... I was hoping for better since most Btop's are 1/3hp and this one is listed as 1/2. How was the accuracy and tensioning?

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I don't know much about the little Delta, but I know that the Craftsman 10" Rikon clone is getting great reviews and goes on sale near the $100 mark fairly often. It has a fence and a cast iron table...not sure of the resaw and HP.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
          • Nov 2004
          • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
          • Delta Contractor Saw

The power difference between 1/3 and 1/2 is minimal. I didn't consider it under powered.... just not enough power. Overall it was a good saw and for the price I paid, it did everything it should have done.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

I've had the Delta 10" for several years. I have it mounted on top of a metal cabinet with lots of drawers. The cabinet is 38" high, which puts the BS table at nearly 53" high. I'm 6'2", so the table is just right for me.

I added Cool Blocks and a Timberwolf blade. This little saw does all that I have asked it to do. I had a Craftsman three wheel bench top that was awful by comparison.

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Red88chevy
              Established Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Midland, Texas.

No experience with the Delta you mentioned, but I do have the Craftsman/Rikon 10in saw and am very pleased. I bought it after a number of favorable reviews here. I have a 14in Ridgid that has had a few problems, so I usually use the Craftsman. It has blade rollers and can be found for $99 brand new on sale. You may want to consider it.

Comment

Working...