where do i get only the plunge base for my router?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

where do i get only the plunge base for my router?

i have a m12vc hitachi variable speed router and want to get the plunge base only. i did a search on google and didnt get anything but places that are selling the kits. does anyone know where i could get one?
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

not that it helps you any at this juncture, but that is one of the advantages of buying the Bosch 1617 or the PC89x or 69x series- a large user base with a lot of parts out there. And both makers sold various kit levels with and with multiple bases and additional bases as normal accessories. eBay has several bases for the Bosch, for example at any given time, in addition to the normal parts hardware/WW stores.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-03-2008, 12:05 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• AusRob
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2008

Have you tried Hitachi direct?
      Maybe you could buy a universal base plate from a third party supplier.

Regards,

Rob
      http://www.dam%6efinefurniture.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

You might try this site, with a part number #323-349.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

You could always try a "wanted" ad in some wwing classifieds, or Craigslist.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

loring, thanks for the idea! i do have pc router in the fixed base, i should try to look for a plunge base for that.

rob, i did not try hitachi direct, but i will make sure i do, just so that i can see what it would cost.

cab-man, i looked at that site, but that part number search results nothing. i have emailed them. so should be hearing from them soon.

dustmight, i think i will do that as well.

i knew i could count on you guys for ideas! thanks!

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

You might try contacting Reconditionedsales.com to see if they might have a stray plunge base available.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                cab-man, i looked at that site, but that part number search results nothing. i have emailed them. so should be hearing from them soon.

Go to this page of a parts PDF and check out item #100. It's a group number for the plunge base assembly.

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

This is where normal math fails. KM12VC is a variable speed kit with fixed and plunge bases - goes for $130 on Amazon new. KM12SC is the same kit but single speed. Does not exist at Amazon, rare in the wild, goes for $200+ new on the Internet. M12VC is a variable speed router without a plunge base, exists in the wild and goes for $100-$110. Based on this - plunge base alone should have cost you around $30. The only way to get it I am afraid is to buy KM12VC for $130, keep the plunge base and sell M12VC for whatever you can on Ebay. The good part here - KM12VC is an excellent router kit and for $130 it is a steal. It is also compatible with P&C accesories for 690 series. I don't think you can buy 690 base and expect it to work with Hitachi motor (never tried) but you can buy P&C edge guides, baseplates, etc. They will fit. I have several accessories for 690 including edge guide by Milwakee rather than PC - all work.
                  From my experience - I have KM12SC kit (single speed). I use it for practically all hand routing operations even though I have other routers. I don't use it in the table because I have a dedicated router for table use (3-1/4hp). I don't suffer from single speed because I don't need variable in hand use. You are not supposed to use big bits in hand routing and you are supposed to use maximum speed on bits below certain size anyway. I never use bits above 1-1/4" diameter in hands.
                  Alex V

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

I think Alex hit the proverbial nail on the head. Rather tha pay through the nose for just a base its probably better to get another kit including both bases and then either sell the fixed router or add it to the arsenal.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• rjwaldren
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Fresno, CA

That's what I'm planning, I did the opposite of you and bought the km12 kit first. Now I'm ordering a fixed kit from reconditionedsales.com @$59. 2 motors and 2 fixed bases, one to leave in the table. My experience is that buying individual parts tends to be less cost effective than just buying another kit when you consider the other items included in the kit.

The only thing I wish was included with the KM12vc2 is a dust collection hood, I just assumed it would be there. I notice that it is listed in the partlist as an optional accessory. Please let us know where if you find a good parts supplier.

Edit -
                      I just received the quote for the dust collection kit - I asked about the bases too:
                      602 323-346 DUST COLLECTOR SET 1ea 39.89
                      100 323-349 PLUNGE BASE ASS'Y 1ea 169.88
                      58 323-348 FIXED BASE ASS'Y 1ea 74.95
                      Last edited by rjwaldren; 07-06-2008, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...