• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

Impact vs hammer drill

Looking at Ryobis' cordless impact 18V drill and 18V hammer drill. Is there any difference?
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • MilDoc

Impact drills basically "hammer" the driver in a circular motion, helping to drive screws, etc. Using one I was able to drive 1/2" bolts into studs easily.

Hammer drill's impact is vertical, along the line of the bit. Great for concrete and other stuff.

Hope that makes sense, but I'm sure someone can explain it better.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

are you sure it was an impact drill? An impact driver is basically a heavy duty screwdriver but it does not have a chuck and does not make a very good drill.
      A hammer drill, as MilDoc eluded to, is a drill that vibrates to drill though concrete and brick. It does not make a very good screwdriver.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Hoover
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • USA.

Originally posted by Tom Slick
        are you sure it was an impact drill? An impact driver is basically a heavy duty screwdriver but it does not have a chuck and does not make a very good drill.
        A hammer drill, as MilDoc eluded to, is a drill that vibrates to drill though concrete and brick. It does not make a very good screwdriver.
        I looked online, and you are correct, one is an impact driver, the larger pic, the smaller pic is the hammer drill. When I was at Home Depot, I thought that they both had chucks. My error.

Since my eyes need new glasses, is there any reason to buy a hammer drill for woodworking?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Hoover; 06-15-2008, 01:32 AM. Reason: Added text.
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• jonmulzer
          • Dec 2007
          • Indianapolis, IN

If you already have a drill, then no. The hammer function is only for concrete and such. It hammers the bit forward to help fracture the concrete and keep pressure on the bit easier. Hammer drills go through concrete a LOT faster than normal drills.
          "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

My 2 yen:

All the description in the world does not do justice to personal hands on, actual use comparisons. I have read only one person say that his impact driver use wasn't what he expected. But I have read a hundred or more people who say they can't believe how much better an impact driver - drives screws than a drill driver.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

With an impact driver you can strip the head of a screw faster and more completely!

I can't speak for the Ryobi impact driver's use or practicality in woodworking but I have used an air impact wrench to drive bolts in crates and deck frames.

Most hammer drills can be switched from hammer mode to standard drilling, making them good for any project where hand drilling is required. When you need to drill even one hole in concrete they justify their purchase.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

I use my 18V Rigid impact for everything and anything. Any screws, tighten bolts, etc. Using it to put something together is fun too. I put a law cart, animal feeder, etc together with it using sockets.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                  With an impact driver you can strip the head of a screw faster and more completely!
                  Don,

I don't know about others, but I strip far less screw heads with an impact driver than with a drill driver. In 3 years and about 5 boxes of 1000 screws, I doubt that I have stripped more than 3 or 4. What amazes me is that I can drive a screw all the way through a 2x4 (with a long shank) and not strip the head - repeatedly. But with a drill/driver I can expect about 3% - 5% head stripped.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                    I use my 18V Rigid impact for everything and anything. Any screws, tighten bolts, etc. Using it to put something together is fun too. I put a law cart, animal feeder, etc together with it using sockets.

Same here. It may be my favorite tool.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...