X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billfrommich
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

cicular saw, left vs. right, for sheet goods

I will be purchasing a circular saw to be used primarily for cutting up sheet goods, using some sort of purchased or homemade straightedge guide. While I have read quite a bit about the merits of left vs. right blade saws when it comes to carpentry (such as cross cutting a 2x?), I have read very little about the merits of left vs. right blade saws when used to prepare sheet goods (laying flat on some sort of cutting table). Is there a strong argument to be made for one over the other? By the way, I am right handed and would tend to push the saw with my right hand. Thanks.
  • just started
    • Mar 2008
    • suburban Philly

I find it easier to use a left-blade worm drive from the standpoint of both balance of the saw and being able to see the cut-line while working.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I am left handed, and have used both. In Canada, there are OSHA like restrictions (don't remember their organizations name), blade side (sidewinder, not worm), is the same as handedness. the reason is basically, you want the motor between you and the blade.

That said, if you ever plan on getting a manufactured, guided circular saw system, at least the EZ Smart, is designed this way (accessories, like the Cabinetmaker and Repeaters are set up for it).

If you go with a left blade (non worm drive,that's where your hands are further back), then make sure you use a dust chute with it. Using a right blade saw (did for a while when EZ was right only) I (am lefty) got a lot of dust thrown out at me and all over me.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

It's an interesting question, but I don't know that it would matter for sheet goods specifically. If you use a saw board or guide, you just need a good view of the saw plate riding against the guide (unless you are using a system that locks the saw into the guide).

My friend and I have some pretty fun arguments about this topic, he uses a Festool plunge cut saw for everything, and I think it's a really nice setup. I use a 20$ ryobi circ saw with a 10$ Freud blade in it. We both get nice cuts. I do like the riving knife on the Festool, and it's a nice guide, but I don't cut up enough sheet goods for a 500$ circular saw.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Tequila
          • Aug 2004
          • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I don't know that there's any difference whether you're using it for sheet goods or dimensional lumber - I've used both with equal success. For sheet goods I'm usually keeping an eye on the saw plate and the rip guide to make sure they stay tight against each other. As long as they do, I know the cut's going to come out straight and clean.
          -Joe

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
            • Aug 2007
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • BT-3000, 21829

I bought a 6" PC Sawboss Jr. several years ago on a whim and because a left-hand blade seemed like a good idea.

It has become my primary saw. It's well-balanced, fairly light and cuts like mad.

My standard size PC Sawboss just sits on the shelf now.
            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I have used both. I don't have a strong preference but I have used my Milwaukee and similar non-worm drive saws most of the time so that is what feels "normal" to me. I wish it had a vacumn hook-up, however. It makes a fair bit of dust.

I use a "shoot board" of luan plywood to guide the saw for breaking down sheet goods. I have tried several ways of supporting the goods being cut but I think the best is a lattice of 1x4 stock with tight dados glued together (so you have no metal fasteners). I often put the lattice on my BT3100 and the out-feed, utility workbench and make the cuts. I also sometimes lift the goods on the trailer I brought it home on and slide the lattice under it. Then I make the cuts outside and bring the smaller pieces in. I do not try for finish cuts, I leave 1/16 to 1/8 to be trimmed by the BT3100.

Jim

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

1/16" to 1/8" Jim, you are a brave man. I typically leave more than that in case of veneer tear out. My lattice consists of 2 2x4s flat faced under the sheet. And finally remember that "good" veneer side down is how to slice up that plywood.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• Hoover
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • USA.

Although I am left handed, I use the saw right handed. The left cutting circular saw is easier for me to see where I am cutting. Also it is better balanced in my situation.
                  No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Hellrazor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Abyss, PA
                    • Ridgid R4512

I like the left hand blade since I am right handed. But I learned to cut lefted handed over the years and now it doesn't really matter. I cut left handed with a right hand blade or right handed with a left hand blade.

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Totally a personal preference choice in my opinion. Arguements can be made for either as far as safety is concerned. Again, whatever you will feel most comfortable using will be the best choice for you.

Comment

• soxcloud
                        Handtools only
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Vaughn, WA
                        • Unisaw - Creftsman

I'm getting ready to do a set of cabinets and am trying to set up a good circular saw and cutting table that I can use near the area where the cabinets will be installed rather than having to do all the cutting in my shop and moving them to the kitchen for assembly. I have a good 6" Porter cable left handed saw that I've used for several years but have noticed that it's shoe is not exactly square with the blade however I realy enjoy the dust pickup connection built into the Porter Cable saws.

I'm not ready to spring for a Fess Tool and would like to know if any of you are familiar with a current production circular saw that has an adjustable shoe than can be made parallel to the blade, or have any of you found the newer magnesium shoe saws to be better aligned with their blades?

Although I'm right handed, I prefer the left hand saw.
                        Last edited by soxcloud; 06-04-2008, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Working...