• Show
Clear All
  • viking4949
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Northwest Indiana
    • Craftsman 22811

Tool Gloat/Question

I was able to pick up a 1978 Central Machinery of North Hollywood California Drill Press recently. It actually belonged to my grandfather from new up until 1988 when he passed. It had been sitting in his neighbors garage all this time collecting dust and rust. I brought it home, attended to the rust in most areas, and tried to turn it on. The motor hums as soon as it is switched on, but will not turn. If you manually turn the chuck by hand, it will whirl to life and run flawlessly. The motor has no obvious exterior capacitor that I can see. Is this motor toast? Is this a brush issue? I know I Can probably obtain a new DP relatively inexpensively, but this one has family history.
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

The motor on most drill presses is an induction motor, and doesn't have brushes. You probably have an open motor, and need to try to blow some air through the openings to clear out the dust. There should be a start capacitor on the motor, that might need to be replaced. You might wind up taking the motor to an electrical shop for inspection and or repair.
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

It could be a split phase motor, no capacitors. It sounds like the contacts inside the motor need to be cleaned. If it doesn't look like it can be taken apart or if you don't want to take it apart then just replace the whole motor.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

As Tom mentioned, "...split phase motor...".

At the bottom bell housing you will find a centswitch. It probably is dirty and not making contact. Try some compressed air; if that don't help you'll have to open it up.

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

IIRC, there was an extensive thread on this very question. It was either here or on Woodnet. I can't tell you how recently, but a search should find it.
          Joe

Comment

• just started
            • Mar 2008
            • suburban Philly

You also might want to look for a 'cap' in the mounting base of the motor - I have seen two like that recently.

Comment

• Daryl
              • May 2004

Take the end off of the motor opposite of the shaft, usually the cord end. You will find a centrifigal switch, (this is what makes the clicking sound when a motor is turned on or off.)
              Clean any dirt out and polish any rust that seems to inhibit operation. Also there will be a set of contact points there that you should give a light wiping to with a small file. It seems to me that the start contacts are open and it is not getting that initial oomph when first turned on.
              Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• viking4949
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2008
                • Northwest Indiana
                • Craftsman 22811

Thanks guys, I will try to blow it out tomorrow and see what happens. What a great forum.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

If the air gaps in the iron stator fill up with wood dust it will stop the motor too. It used to happen with my old table saw. After taking it to the motor repair place once, I learned to take the rotor out and blow out the air gaps. With the rotor removed, it is easy to see what needs the dust blown out of it. I was surprised this could happen but it did several times.

Jim

Comment

Working...