• Show
Clear All
  • Iansaws
    Established Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Marietta, Ga
    • Ryobi BT3100

I need a circular saw...any suggestions

I am in the market for a new circular saw. I am just a weekend woodworker, not a pro, but I want something that will last. I am looking at the Hitachi C7SB2 15 Amp 7-1/4-Inch saw that Reconditioned Sales, Inc has for $57.00. Lowes has it new for $87. It looks and feels like a good CS for the money. I have heard and contributed to all of the negative reviews of RSI, but I have only had one bad experience out of 3 with them and everything I have received has been as advertised. Does anyone have any suggestions.

John
    Attached Files
    I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday...
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have that saw -- it was a great bargain. The adjustment levers can be tight, but overall I this it's a great saw. I think I paid $100, so $87 is probably a pretty good deal, too.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

My suggestion is to check out what's available and some details that may make using a saw more convenient. Considering the power, 15 AMPS is great. Some saws (PC, for example) can be purchased with blade right or left of the motor. Other features would be weight, type of base plate shoe, and bevel and height adjustment mechanisms. Most all have guides included. If you can, try actually handling your choices, just to get a "feel".

Comment

• 182much
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2008
        • Norco, CA

I have used the worm drive saws (blade on the left side of the saw) for many many years being a carpenter by trade .
        I have used the other type of saw (blade on the right) and found that I had to lean to the right to see the line that I was cutting and this would kick up a lot of saw dust into my face.
        With the blade on the left the dust was kicked onto my arm instead of in the face.
        Though these worm drive saws might cost 3-4 times as much, I'm still using the one I bought 20 years ago.
        If you go this route, pay attention to the shoe plate. On the "MagLite" saws the plate is flat versus a lip on the basic skill saw. When ripping with a straigt edge, I found the the MagLite's plate is alot more prone to "wander" (for lack of a better term) under the staight edge

Comment

• rcp612
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
          • Bosch 4100-09

Not trying to hijack this thread,, just wondering. Does anyone own the P-C CS??
          I've been tempted to buy one for the apparent dust collection properties but can't find a review that says anything other than what's in their advertisements. So,,,does it work??
          Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Tequila
            • Aug 2004
            • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Originally posted by rcp612
            Not trying to hijack this thread,, just wondering. Does anyone own the P-C CS??
            I've been tempted to buy one for the apparent dust collection properties but can't find a review that says anything other than what's in their advertisements. So,,,does it work??
            I own a PC 423MAG left blade saw. Love the quick blade change. The levers are easy to deal with and lock tight. I don't normally hook it up to a hose for DC, but having the left blade makes all the difference in the world as far as not getting dust in your face.
            -Joe

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

I'll vote for the blade on the left too. I like my cordless circ for this reason. It is easier for me to use since I am right handed, although I will cut with either hand if needed.

Comment

• mnmphd
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006

I also have the PC left MAG unit. I don't use it frequently, but when I do
                it performs great. I got a recon unit and saved a few dollars. I don't recall
                the exact price but I believeit was around $60.

Comment

• bthere
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Alpharetta, GA

Being left handed, I have always liked the right blade saws.

I have the PC CS that I use inside with a guide system. I hook it up to a vacuum and it does an acceptable job of reducing the dust. I'm ok with the tool-less blade change, but I would be just as happy with a tool that stores on board for the blade change.

My favorite all around CS is the Milwaukee 6390. This saw seems more powerful to me even though it has the same 15A rating as others I've used. I like the tilt-lock handle, even though I originally thought it was going to be a useless gimmick.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I have a Craftsman POS and a Ryobi 14.4 cordless CS. I don't use the cordless for much, but it is very handy for occasional use.

I would consider what you are going to cut with it. I RARELY use a CS for more than 3/4" ply, so the next CS I get is going to be that little corded PC one--or something similar. I just don't want a big bulky CS when I don't really need it.
                    Joe

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I like my Milwaukee but I think a dust hook up would be very nice. I use the Milwaukee to break down sheets of plywood most typically. It makes a bunch of dust. I have a DC and shop vac in the shop but no way to hook them up to the Milwaukee.

I handle that does not change angle is a desirable feature to me. I can't tell about the Hitachi. I rarely change blades so having to find a wrench is not a big deal. I like a metal base plate because I am not real gentle with my tools.

Jim

Comment

• messmaker
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2004
                        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                        • Ridgid 2424

I have had about a dozen circular saws and I don't think you can find one perfect one. The Bosch for the feel, The PC for dust collection, The Hitachi for cheap brute power. I use a 20 year old Black and Decker most because it is a handy mixture of size and power
                        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Hey Iansaws, check out some of the reasoning against left side blade if your a rightie in a previous thread:
                          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=34991
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Crash2510
                            • Feb 2006
                            • North Central Ohio

I have both left and right side saw. My go to saw is the small pc sawboss because it is so convenient and easy to handle, but for big jobs the 423mag works great I hook it up to the shop vac when i am working inside and it works great. got mine reconditioned on ebay for about 50 bucks

money well spent
                            Phil In Ohio
                            The basement woodworker

Comment

• Iansaws
                              Established Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Marietta, Ga
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I decided on the Hitachi with a twist

Yesterday I called and was able to finally get through to Reconditioned Sales, Inc. (if you call and they ask for an extension select ext 115 otherwise you can't get through...don't ask). I wanted to know if their "reconditioned version of the Hitachi C7SB2 would be available anytime soon (it has been on backorder for awhile). They said they did no know but that they did have some reconditioned versions of the newer Hitachi CS the C7BMR for sale for $71.00 plus shipping. It is similar to the C7SB2 but with a blade brake and it has "IDI technology" which simply stands for internally double insulated. This means that you can have a more durable metal exterior and still have a double insulated tool with a 2 prong plug that is lighter, more quite and has less vibration...which theoretically should make the tool last longer. Anyway I jumped on this unadvertised deal as fast as I could. Hopefully it will arrive in like-new shape as promised. I will keep you posted.
                              Attached Files
                              I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday...

Comment

Working...