• Show
Clear All
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

Scraper or Sandpaper?

I finally picked up a scraper and burnisher. I am still working on my burnishing technique, but when I do get it right, I really like it. I also bought a Stanley No. 80 on eBay and am looking forward to getting that.

Since I have significant allergies, I particularly like having nearly zero airborne dust. It is nice to be able to work without respirator, hearing protection and safety glasses!

Just curious how many folks here use scrapers and how often.
    I use a scraper nearly exclusively
    0.00%
    I mostly use a scraper, but sometimes sand
    3.33%
    About 50/50
    16.67%
    I mostly use sandpaper, but occasionally scrape
    48.89%
    I never use a scraper
    31.11%
    Last edited by dkerfoot; 05-17-2008, 11:07 AM.
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

I have started using scrappers a lot on flatwork, still use paper on roundwork though.

I bought a Stanley #12 and with a sharp scrapper in it it works nicely.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I would prefer less dust but I sand exclusively. I have tried scraping but found it challenging to sharpen the srapper. Then I saw an article in FWW that indicated they could not tell a difference between sanded and scrapped wood.

I keep thinking about it but I also keep sanding.

Jim

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

I too really like the idea of no dust/noise, but I have very limited experience with scraping - closest I come to it is planing and chisel work.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I use my scraper a lot, but I cannot say that it gets a surface as smooth as even 220 grit sand paper. I'd liken it more to about 150 grit. I typically scrape then sand with 220 and above depending upon the finish, and the wood type. Some porous woods look better scraped because the sanding dust gets in there and changes the clarity of the grain. Other woods it seems to matter less.

I wouldn't want to be without my scraper though, it does things other than finish prep for a surface. I use it to level off glue-ups, for instance, and I couldn't do that well with sanding unless I put the result through my drum sander. I also use it to smooth veneers, which I wouldn't want to try with sand paper. So it's got many uses in my shop.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• kevincan
            Established Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Central Illinois
            • Craftsman 21829

I got a set of scrapers a long time ago but I still have not used them. I also just picked up a Stanley #80 after watching the Wood whisperer use one to flatten a glue up panel.

Has any one tried the Lee Valley Variable burnisher. It looks like a fool proof way to burnish a scraper.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...310,41070&ap=1

Kevin

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I like the scraper alot, but rarely am willing to take the time to get the burr shaped properly....need more practice! (guess that's a "Catch 22"! )
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Seedy
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2007

I have never used a scraper, but what I have used with good success is a piece of glass with some duct tape around one end. When the glass gets dull, you just cut off half an inch and you are good to go again.-Craig

Comment

• garymuto
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Encinitas, CA
                  • Delta Cabinet Saw

I just startd using a scraper (or a plane) for finish. I like the feel, very smooth, but it's intimidating, especially when a project is nearly complete. I can sharpen a plane iron OK, but I have a lot of practicing ahead of me before I can sharpen and use a scraper well.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by drumpriest
                    I use my scraper a lot, but I cannot say that it gets a surface as smooth as even 220 grit sand paper. I'd liken it more to about 150 grit. I typically scrape then sand with 220 and above depending upon the finish, and the wood type. Some porous woods look better scraped because the sanding dust gets in there and changes the clarity of the grain. Other woods it seems to matter less.
                    I think it is pretty common for folks to sand after scraping, depending on the wood/application. I read an article by Tage Frid who apparently used 80 grit sandpaper after scraping! (Still haven't figured that one out...)

You need to be a Finewoodworkingh member to view this video, but Brian Boggs shows some interesting techniques here which I had not seen or heard about from any other source:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...e.aspx?id=5299

Surely it is more work than running it through a drum sander (which I don't have anyway) or even using a ROS, but I just love not having to encapslulate myself while working. Seems to me that if I worked at it, I could get good enough to only need a bit of light hand sanding afterwards, which results in a lot less airborne dust.

My allergies have me considering going the Neanderthal route. Not for everything - but I think it makes sense for me to develop at least a functional skill level with more hand tools, so that it becomes a choice as to whether I flip that power switch on or not.

Besides, being 40 something and working at a computer all day, I can use all the exercise I can get!
                    Last edited by dkerfoot; 05-19-2008, 07:15 AM.
                    Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by kevincan
                      Has any one tried the Lee Valley Variable burnisher. It looks like a fool proof way to burnish a scraper.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...310,41070&ap=1

Kevin
                      Since I picked up one of those from woodcraft I use my scrapers much more than before. I never could really get a good burr with a rod.

I got one of their scraper holders a few days ago too. I really like it. I used it for a couple hours straight Sunday on some maple glue ups. It saved me a lot of hand fatigue, and not holding onto a hot blade is nice as well.
                      Erik

Comment

• dkerfoot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Holland, Michigan
                        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by pelligrini
                        I got one of their scraper holders a few days ago too. I really like it. I used it for a couple hours straight Sunday on some maple glue ups. It saved me a lot of hand fatigue, and not holding onto a hot blade is nice as well.
                        I was wondering about those. My concern is that they kinda limit you to one of the four burrs without setting it up again. Not that it would take long, but in my very limited experience, I like to be able to flip the scraper around to grab a brand new burr. That does a lot to reduce the heat as well. Maybe I am just so out of shape I appreciate an excuse to rest a moment...

Of course, the No 80 I have ordered will have the same limitation, but even more so having just one edge (it does have two blades included). I'll see which of the two types I gravitate to and see if I want to add a holder.

Good to hear that the Lee Valley Variable burnisher works as advertised. If my technique doesn't improve, I'll consider one. Though I am hoping to do it "old school" if possible.
                        Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                          • Nov 2004
                          • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                          • Delta Contractor Saw

Here is an easy to understand write-up on sharpening scrapers.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-3416.html

Comment

• just started
                            • Mar 2008
                            • suburban Philly

Just like with knife sharpening, understanding the process is easy but freehand holding the angle is inhuman magic.

Comment

• RobC
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Apr 2003
                              • Arlington, VA, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I voted that I always sand. This post has inspired me to get a scraper and learn this technique. I am getting ready to build some cutting boards and this would be a great opportunity to learn while I smooth the glue-ups.

Comment

Working...