Is Reconditioned Sales still in business?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schleeper
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008

Is Reconditioned Sales still in business?

I bought a reconditioned router kit from that outfit that sells Hitachi tools, Reconditioned Sales Inc. (A link to their web site has appeared in the Bargain Alert forum a few times recently.) I received the item, as scheduled, on Monday. Since then, I have sent 3 messages using the customer service link they provided, with no response. I even PM'd our friend, johnwest72, who works for them. It's been a couple of days, and he hasn't even read the message yet. (In his profile, he indicated that he doesn't want people e-mailing him.)

My inquiries weren't the type that you'd typically just ignore, so it's left me puzzled. I'm figuring they've either drafted every available employee to work on replacing brushes in the last shipment of hammer drills they received, or they've gone the way of the Edsel. Has anyone heard anything?

It may be nothing, and y'all can do as you like, but it may be worth your while to try and contact them before placing an order any time soon.
    "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Is there a phone number or at least a city noted so that you can call 'information'? JAT
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by ironhat
      Is there a phone number or at least a city noted so that you can call 'information'? JAT
      Yes there is, its 1-866-764-2976 and it's toll free.

Reconditioned Tools Website

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

never ever trust email if you need to communicate with a company. In my experience 85% of the time "customer service" emails are not answered. it is much more difficult for them to not answer the phone or to tell you no over the phone.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Schleeper
          Established Member
          • Feb 2008

Obviously, I can call them. I could have placed the order by phone, too, but I didn't. Fact is, I prefer communicating by e-mail. Besides, both their order and shipping confirmation e-mails indicated that inquiries about the order should be directed to their customer service people by e-mail. When you click on the link, they provide a place to supply your e-mail address, and a space to write out your question. The instruction says, "Enter your contact information and question below, and one of our customer service representatives will get back to you." Why bother saying that, if you have no intention of reading and answering your e-mail?

I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised. The RSI web site also states:

Like New Appearance
          All of the certified reconditioned tools on our website are designated as "A" quality, which means that they are like-new in appearance.

Check out the attached pictures of the power cord on the "like-new" router they sent me. Instead of a reconditioned tool, they sold me a used one. (Actually, "abused" would be a better description.)

More than likely, this was a mistake. Hey, we all make 'em. However, when you're in the business of selling reconditioned tools, this is a doozy. First of all, they sent me a tool that was not only unfit for sale, but according to the owner's manual, shouldn't even be used. That has product liability implications. Second, trust is a big factor in the decision on whether to buy reconditioned or new. (Seriously, how does a buyer know that something has truly been reconditioned?) It takes hundreds and hundreds of successful transactions to build a solid reputation for trustworthiness, but only a relative handful to destroy it.

Every company screws up from time to time, but you know what separates the great companies from the rest of the pack? They are superior when it comes to fixing their goofs. They almost seem happy when someone brings them a problem, because it gives them a chance to prove how much better they are. After your problem has been solved, you can't help but sing their praises.

Slick, RSI was the one that really needed to communicate in this case. They needed to recognize the serious nature of my inquiry, and act on it as if someone's hair was on fire. If they had, I would have been looking for what else I could buy from them. Instead they ignored me, and became the subject of this rant on BT3Central. Now, every time someone Googles Reconditioned Sales or RSI in the future, this will rear its ugly head.
          Last edited by Schleeper; 12-15-2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I received an email from them today stating that my order has shipped.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Schleeper
              Established Member
              • Feb 2008

Rumors of their death are greatly exaggerated, apparently.

About 9 hours ago, I received an e-mail from Reconditioned Sales Customer Service, At that time, they were in the progress [sic] of issuing me a refund. They requested that I "stay wired" for an e-mail containing an RMA shiping label. That's the last I've heard.

If I "stay wired"any longer, I won't be able to get to to sleep tonight...

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I ordered two items about a week ago...M12VC router and 12V drill. They shipped promptly and the router arrived yesterday, and the 12V drill arrived today.

Unfortunately the charger for the drill does not work....DOA. I tried calling and was prompted to leave a message, which I did. I also followed with an email and a few more phone attempts...no progress.

The router arrived with only a 1/4" collet...as stated in the details (my fault). I sent them an email early yesterday to ask if they sold the 1/2" collet....no response yet, and honestly, after reading through the list of gripes here, I don't have the warm fuzzy that they're going to respond anytime soon. I even contacted the sales extension and was prompted to leave a message for them as well!

I will post an update as this plays out....
                Last edited by Knottscott; 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Schleeper
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008

Sorry to hear about that, Dustmight. Looks like we're in the same boat.

Did you call during their business hours of 8:00-4:00 M-Th, 7:30-2:30 F? I get the distinct feeling that RSI is nothing more than a couple of guys who used to work for Hitachi.

I'm tired of screwing around with them. I'm just going to contact Paypal, and have them refund my money. Then I may drop Hitachi a line.

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

I always thought that the prices they have are almost too good to be true. It sounds like that may be the case. I would make sure I talked to a live person as it seems like they don't respond quickly to an E-mail. The owner of the company came on our site and ask for our support when he first opened. You might do a search and throw his name around.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• rjwaldren
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Fresno, CA

I recently bought a compressor through them and over all I'm very happy. The unit was like new and works great. The only thing I wish was more clear on thier site was the IN STOCK notice.

I received an email shortly after ordering that suggested items may be available but are not actually refurbished until they are ordered. This added a few days to the ship date. Fortunately I didn't mind at the time. But as this thread grows it seems more questions arise.

I had plans for placing several more orders through them soon, but will wait to hear how things work out for you guys. I learned of the company through this site, hopefully we do see it's undoing here also.

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

RSI contacted me today and stated that they'd be sending out a new charger for the drill. Not the fastest service I've ever received but I consider 2-3 days reasonable, and the outcome satisfactory. If it arrives as promised, all's well here!

Comment

• Schleeper
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2008

I still haven't heard anything more from them. By now, they've received an e-mail from Paypal. Let's see if they ignore that one, too.

Next step is an e-mail to Hitachi. I have a bone to pick with them, anyway, regarding the lousy instructions that come with the KM12VC router kit. While I'm at it, I'll let them know what a fine job their "exclusive Authorized Hitachi Reconditioning Center" is doing!

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Schleeper
                            I still haven't heard anything more from them. By now, they've received an e-mail from Paypal. Let's see if they ignore that one, too.

Next step is an e-mail to Hitachi. I have a bone to pick with them, anyway, regarding the lousy instructions that come with the KM12VC router kit. While I'm at it, I'll let them know what a fine job their "exclusive Authorized Hitachi Reconditioning Center" is doing!
                            That's a good idea and I should join you...I opened up the defective charger that came with the drill and was particularly disappointed by what I saw. One of the transistors had a major burn from a soldering iron that went through all the insulation and exposed metal beneath, and if that wasn't the cause of the problem, there was a break in the circuit board that was severe enough to actually sever one of the imbedded foil connections....I doubt if that helped anything! Hard to believe that thing worked on a tech's test bench before leaving!
                            Last edited by Knottscott; 05-15-2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Schleeper
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dustmight
                              That's a good idea and I should join you...I opened up the defective charger that came with the drill and was particularly disappointed by what I saw. One of the transistors had a major burn from a soldering iron that went through all the insulation and exposed metal beneath, and if that wasn't the cause of the problem, there was a break in the circuit board that was severe enough to actually sever one of the imbedded foil connections....I doubt if that helped anything! Hard to believe that thing worked on a tech's test bench before leaving!
                              Don't forget to mention the fact that Hitachi would definitely be named as a co-defendant if RSI were to get sued for selling a faulty Hitachi tool.

Comment

Working...