• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Powermatic PWBS-14

ANybody have this bandsaw? I think its just been added to my list. They have a promo that runs out today and am considering wether this is a good reason for an impluse buy.

I had been looking at the Rikon 10-325 or Griz 0555x but saw the PM in the woodcraft in seattle on my way to the airport as I had back to PHX.

with base, riser etc The griz shipped would be around $820. the rikon equiv would be around $850 but still tryin to see what exactly it ships with. The deal on the PM is $899
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

I have the PM and love it. Woodcraft had a sale when I bought mine and I got the $50.00 rebate from Powermatic and a $100.00 gift card from Woodcraft.
    I did switch to Timberwolf blades and added an Incra V-27 miter gauge. The factory miter gauge was not bad though, the rip fence is excellent as is the rest of the saw.
    I didn't buy the Powermatic mobile base, I used a Shop Fox with a 3/4 ply insert for the bottom.
    Last edited by Whaler; 12-11-2008, 07:05 PM.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

OK Dick this is all your fault...................

After visiting the Woodcraft in Seattle this morning and seen the deal that expired tonight, I got off the plane in Phoenix and went to the Woodcraft in Chandler and I am now the proud owner of the Powermatic Bandsaw!!!!

FYI I found out that the Rikon prices have just gone up the 10-325 is now $849 without the mobile base. As of tomorrow the PM will be up to somewhere over $1000 with the riser at $95 and the base $150 that will make it a $1300 saw. I just got it for $899.

Yes this is a gloat - sorry but my first bright yellow powermatic tool what can I say

I feel like I just want to put it in the middle of the shop and polish it, how could I possibly dirty it with sawdust.

Will post pictures when its all together.
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Eruption
        Handtools only
        • Sep 2005
        • Dade City, Florida, USA.

I got mine while Woodcraft was giving the mobile base and riser kit with the saw and couldn't be more happy with it. The only thing that I was disappointed about was how the motor is mounted. It is a bear to adjust the belt. Other then that the saw is great!

Comment

• Tom Hintz
          • Feb 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.

I've been using the Powermatic 14" Bandsaw for some time now (link to my review of it below) and love it. I think you get more fbang or the buck with this saw than just about anything else. The list of "aftermarket" parts that come as standard equipment really makes this a good value. Throw in the construction, dust collection that should shame most other manufacturers and you have a very good deal as well as a machine that is going to perform for a very long time.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm14bsrvu.html
          Tom Hintz
          NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Hintz
            I've been using the Powermatic 14" Bandsaw for some time now (link to my review of it below) and love it. I think you get more fbang or the buck with this saw than just about anything else. The list of "aftermarket" parts that come as standard equipment really makes this a good value. Throw in the construction, dust collection that should shame most other manufacturers and you have a very good deal as well as a machine that is going to perform for a very long time.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm14bsrvu.html
            I had read it and watched the little video it was one of the things that helped sway my decsion, although it shouldnt be too hard to choose anything with a PM label.
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• oldbear

Powermatic PWBS-14 Bandsaw

I have had the PWBS-14 since 2004. Good quality but had couple of problems: (1) The drive motor pulley didn't align properly. One time fix of modifying mounting holes.
              (2) The riser block alignment pins caused the upper unit to be significantly out of alignment (top wheel wasn't co-planer with the bottom wheel). The fix was cutting on the front alignment pin on the riser block. I believe PM has fixed the problem unless you get old stock. If that happens be sure to call customer service.
              But I have two problems for which I need help:
              (1) I haven't got the PM to work well with a 1/8" or 3/16" blade when cutting patterns from 6-8 inch blocks of wood for gift boxes. From all the books and info I have, it is suggested that Cool Blocks be used for such small blades. The reason is that on such small blades the bearings stand a good chance of ruining the set of the blade teeth and the blades if likely to pop out of the guide bearings. Has anyone used Cool Blocks with the PWBS-14?
              (2) I haven't had much success using a 1/2" blade for resawing. Do most people use the single point fence attachment?

Comment

Working...