• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

DP Table

I got an e-mail coupon today from Rockler for 25% off one item this weekend. I have been thinking about one of these.
    Any comments?
    Last edited by Whaler; 07-16-2008, 01:09 PM.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • just started
    • Mar 2008
    • suburban Philly

I have the small version on my bench-top DP and it's good, about triples the size of the table. Just be careful not to put anything really heavy on the front edge of the table because it can tip whole thing forward.

How did you get the discount coupon?

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

I was thinking about that too. I was going to make one but with 25% off that may swing things towards rockler. The usually have this table discounted anyway but if that the case you cant have the 25% on top.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Originally posted by just started
        I have the small version on my bench-top DP and it's good, about triples the size of the table. Just be careful not to put anything really heavy on the front edge of the table because it can tip whole thing forward.
        Do you have it fixed to the bench? If you dont want it as a permanent fixture you can still mount it on a plywood base and clamp this down to the edge of the bench and/or use bench dog/clamps
        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

It is interesting that they show it on the delta laser press, as it already has t-slots, etc... it's a pretty cool table though. I use hold downs on my DP all the time now and really think it's a big improvement.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• just started
            • Mar 2008
            • suburban Philly

Originally posted by poolhound
            Do you have it fixed to the bench? If you dont want it as a permanent fixture you can still mount it on a plywood base and clamp this down to the edge of the bench and/or use bench dog/clamps
            Nope, everything I have has to be portable/stowable at this point since I don't have any space for a dedicated shop area yet. I clamp it when I can, but it's tough to clamp to the washer or dryer which are my benches a lot of the time.

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I made one that is similar to the Rockler model out of MDF and hardwood scraps I had just laying around the shop. I doubt if I have more than $10-$15 invested in it including the t-track and holddowns. It was a fun little project that can be knocked out easily in an afternoon or evening.

Comment

• gad5264
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                • BT3000/BT3100NIB

I have the smaller one on a Ryobi DP120 and I love it.
                Grant
                "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by sweensdv
                  I made one that is similar to the Rockler model out of MDF and hardwood scraps I had just laying around the shop. I doubt if I have more than $10-$15 invested in it including the t-track and holddowns. It was a fun little project that can be knocked out easily in an afternoon or evening.
                  Yup, I think ROckler has some deals on T track and hold downs so $15 should cover the HW. I have plenty of MDF and scraps so I think I will just build one.

How did you decide to fix it to the table? Clamps on the edge or screw through the table holes?
                  Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by poolhound
                    How did you decide to fix it to the table? Clamps on the edge or screw through the table holes?
                    poolhound, this isn't the way I did mine but this way is actually easier than what I did. Drill Press Table Mount

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

I mounted my shop-built DP table similar to what is somewhat shown in the link from sweensdv, except I installed the t-nuts so that they line up with the holes in the factory steel DP table. I put some loctite on pieces of threaded rod of the appropriate length and screwed it into the t-nuts (basically making studs to align the DP table with the steel table) , then I used a knob and washer to hold it in place. It works very well and goes on and off pretty quick.

My DP table is made from 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF laminated together, if your DP table is only 3/4" thick, you will need to be careful with the t-nut placement to prevent interferance with the t-track.

Good luck.
                      Last edited by os1kne; 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM.
                      Bill

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I roughly followed the plan of a similar table in Wood magazine. It has a t-track in the fence for stops and part of the fence slides out to give more support and range. I almost never use this feature, however. One nice feature is to make the top surface 1/4 tempered hardboard and make the center part where you drill replaceable. My top surface is two layers of 1/2 BB plywood plus the 1/4 hardboard. I put several drawers under the top for bits (my drill press is a floor standing model). I screwed it to the steel drill press table from below and shimmed it with old business cards to get the top square to a piece of steel rod in the chuck.

Jim
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by JimD; 04-26-2008, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• ndj
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Lexington, KY
                          • BT3K

If you're looking for a table for a tabletop DP, then here is one made very similar to the Rockler model, just without the dust port:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96395

Comment

• hermit
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Somerset, PA, USA.

Here's one I made. I did something similar to what JimD mentioned, but my top layer is 1/2" mdf. Bottom is 3/4" mdf. The replaceable center is easily made from scrap 1/2" mdf. I used small scraps on the bottom to border the original steel table in order position it easily, then bolted into threaded inserts installed in the table. The fence now has a T-slot routed in it for stop blocks. At the time I didn't have a T-slot router bit.

Todd
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Whaler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Sequim, WA, USA.
                              • DW746

After looking at the Rockler table I decided that it was to wide and I would have to cut it down for the room available in the shop. Instead I picked up one of their 48" T track kits and am going to make my own. Thanks to all you saved me some $$.
                              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...