• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codaman33
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.

I finally did it, but it is still pretty great

If that title doesn't suck you in, hahaha. My wife has finally cut me off of buying tools, for now. Of course, to get to this point, she let me get all sorts of tools. I don't want to brag, but I am happy that she let me get them.

Here they are, the cursed tools (my wife's opinion) that got me cut off:
    1) Jet hybrid table saw with the 52" rails. I am sorry guys. I have enjoyed my BT3100, but the switch went out, and I was having a few other problems with it so I gave it to my brother in law. He doesn't have a table saw at all. The Jet is a very nice addition to my shop

2) Porter Cable random orbit sander. Clearance at Home Depot. I asked, and they gave it to me for 1/2 price.

3) The incra LS positioner 25" model. I found a guy in Dallas that let it go, new in box, for $200. It was too good to pass up.

I am blaming the next one on Home Depot though.
    4) Dewalt DW735 planer. $100 off. Enough said.

I am sure that there are a few other tools in there that I forgot about, and of course, I managed to sneak one or two things in under the radar. But I think that I agree, I had better cool it before my wife kills me or something. But for the record, my wife is really awesome to let me buy all of this. She has given me clear directions also to finish my shop and then finish her closet. Of course, the closet is 90% done, I just have to finish a couple of adjustable shelves, the flooring (5' X 5' closet, this should be easy), and the base molding. So for the most part, I have orders from my wife to get my shop 110% done so I can make her stuff like a book case, cutting boards, etc. She told me she wants results.

So again, I am not bragging, but I really do love my wife. I wonder if she will let "me get her" the new Rikon mini lathe soon. She did like to turn pens at the class that we took. Is there a pill for my condition? Good night.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

The key to it all is to keep making stuff for the wife. Keep your eye out for something she'd like that would require a bandsaw or a nice router table.

The lathe might come easier if you put the idea in her ear about fancy handmade pens for all her friends and family...

About the mini-lathe, though. I'm a Rikon fan (have a bandsaw and a jointer of theirs), and their mini-lathe is as good as it gets in a 3-speed spinner, but you can trust me when I tell you that you will be much better off with an electronic VS unit, and Rikon doesn't have one yet. Maybe they will by the time you're ready, but if not, cash up a little and go with the Jet 1014VSI. You'll not regret it. Changing speeds with the belt is a pain, even though it's easier on the Rikon than on many others, and you will constantly find yourself running at the wrong speeds because you don't wanna change the belt for a quick buff or an application of CA. Every time you splatter CA because you're running too fast, or chunk an expensive pen blank because you are running too slow, you will utter strange words, and then wonder why you didn't listen to ol' Uncle C.

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

codaman33, I had to laugh when I read the part were your wife said she wants results. I have heard that for the last few years as I have been accumulating tools. I keep on telling her if you don't have the right tool the result won't be as good,as you can imagine she's not buying in to my theory. Anyhow, I am usually way to busy with work and the day to day things to really do anything more then general house repair, but since I'm off work for the next month rehabbing from shoulder surgery I think its high time to buy and use some very necessary new tools.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...