Blade Cleaner too aggressive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 2162

    #1

    Blade Cleaner too aggressive?

    So I bought a used Freud SD508 dado stack for $60 yesterday (stealth gloat). It seemed to be in good shape except it had a bit of pitch and gum on the blades. I thought cool, I finally get to use the bit and blade cleaner that came with my Boeshield T9. I placed on of the blades in a small pale and sprayed the blade and let it soak in for a minute or so and then brushed the teeth with an old toothbrush. The front has alot of writing on it. "freud, 8" super dado, etc." see .
    I flipped it over and repeated the same thing. After both sprayings the liquid pooled at the bottom. When I turned the blade around again, much of the writing had started to come off ass well.

    I've seen a podcast of cleaning blades and the guy poured a whole bottle full of the cleaning liquid and submerged the entire blade. So I didn't expect the results I got. He was using a product from Rockler.
    Is it the product I'm using or will this happen with other brands as well?
    Should I just be more careful about the stuff getting on the writing? Although don't most blades have some writing on them.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • iceman61
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 699
    • West TN
    • Bosch 4100-09

    #2
    I wouldn't worry about it. The blade will still cut just as well. Last summer I used my DeWalt miter saw to cut some vinyl siding, which gets gummed up quick. It's 12" blade & it took alot to get it cleaned but it still cuts like a champ. You could always engrave it with the correct info if you're worried about forgetting the info over time.

    Comment

    • JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • 4187
      • Lexington, SC.

      #3
      I use CMT's blade cleaner and have not taken the writing off my Freud Pro dado set yet but I've only cleaned it once or twice and the lettering was at least slightly affected. If I had scrubbed more, it would have affected it more, I'm sure. I like the CMT cleaner. It seems to work well without being overly agressive.

      Jim

      Comment

      • jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 2638
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

        #4
        I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Ink solvents probably will not harm the carbide or the brazing on your blade.

        Comment

        Working...