• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Diamond drum to sand glass shelves?

This thread is a follow-up to my previous thread about drilling holes in close quarters to add a pivot hinge, here:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=37533

It became apparent when I made a test "door" with a test "pivot" from scrap that the door's rear edge enters the medicine cabinet a little (maybe 1/2") when I open it. This would just run into the glass shelves.

So I was thinking of putting a little "notch" in the shelves, but I don't have any tools to work on glass.

So I checked eBay and came up with these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Diamond-Coated...QQcmdZViewItem

And I wonder whether anyone has ever used anything like this on glass. Does it take forever? Does it just not work? I wouldn't need to remove much material, and only from maybe 3 shelves. Thinking of giving it a try.
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

If those shelves are tempered glass, they'll shatter if you try to do anything to them. And most shelves are made from tempered glass, so I have a feeling you may be at a point where you need to rework your design.
    -Joe

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Originally posted by Tequila
      If those shelves are tempered glass, they'll shatter if you try to do anything to them. And most shelves are made from tempered glass, so I have a feeling you may be at a point where you need to rework your design.
      I wasn't going to use tempered glass. I know it is probably code, but...

Comment

• just started
        • Mar 2008
        • suburban Philly

1. Screw code, USE TEMPERED GLASS for the safety of your wife and kids!!!!!

2. Bevel or chamfer the edge of the door to keep it from hitting the shelves.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by just started
          1. Screw code, USE TEMPERED GLASS for the safety of your wife and kids!!!!!

2. Bevel or chamfer the edge of the door to keep it from hitting the shelves.
          (1) Do you really think so? There is a large, untempered window not three feet from this cabinet (windows is original to the house). I could always laminate the glass shelves when I'm done (I've had that done with a mirror and it was cheap and worked great). But the shelves will be behind a door that we barely ever open. I could also use (hey, here is an idea) polycarbonate. I wonder how thick I'd have to do to avoid sagging. I could also use wood, for that matter. Or steel. Hmmm...

(2) I would bevel the edge, but I'd have to do the back and front of the door.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

If you already have the glass and it's tempered, it will have a small label in one corner telling so. If it is, don't attempt to grind or cut. Depending on the span, 1/4" glass is usually adequate. You didn't state the size of the glass.

If you need to cut a small notch, two accessories for a hack saw can work. A rod like this. Or, a hacksaw blade like this used wet. These are usually available at HD, in the tile tool section.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by cabinetman
              If you already have the glass and it's tempered, it will have a small label in one corner telling so. If it is, don't attempt to grind or cut. Depending on the span, 1/4" glass is usually adequate. You didn't state the size of the glass.

If you need to cut a small notch, two accessories for a hack saw can work. A rod like this. Or, a hacksaw blade like this used wet. These are usually available at HD, in the tile tool section.
              I don't have the glass yet. I was just going to use 1/4". The shelves are 3" deep by 15" wide.

I'll check out those links, thanks!

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cgallery
                I could also use (hey, here is an idea) polycarbonate. I wonder how thick I'd have to do to avoid sagging.
                For the spans you have polycarbonate might work, more than likely not. I wouldn't chance it.

I used a piece of 1/4" that's 6"x36" to replace a broken part of a glass top for a fish tank of mine. I have to flip it over every couple of weeks because it'll really sag.
                Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

I don't have the glass yet. I was just going to use 1/4". The shelves are 3" deep by 15" wide.

I'll check out those links, thanks!

For that size, 1/4" would be fine. You could probably get it cut at HD, and if so, why not get it cut to accommodate the final size you need so you don't need to notch?

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by cabinetman
                    For that size, 1/4" would be fine. You could probably get it cut at HD, and if so, why not get it cut to accommodate the final size you need so you don't need to notch?
                    I'm including a pic of the shape I'll need (not to scale).
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Tequila
                      • Aug 2004
                      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Looking at that picture and talking about tempered glass makes me wonder, can you just change your hinge design to avoid all this? Have you considered a piano hinge? They've worked great for me on cabinets the size that you're talking about.
                      -Joe

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

Originally posted by Tequila
                        Looking at that picture and talking about tempered glass makes me wonder, can you just change your hinge design to avoid all this? Have you considered a piano hinge? They've worked great for me on cabinets the size that you're talking about.
                        For reasons that I cannot explain, nor justify, I want to use these pivot hinges.

How dumb is that?

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

For reasons that I cannot explain, nor justify, I want to use these pivot hinges.

How dumb is that?

For the size 3" x 15", plain 1/4" acrylic, like Plexiglas won't deflect under the weight of medicine cabinet articles. It's cheaper than polycarbonate, and you can do that notch with a common drill bit.

Worst case scenario, do a notch on the other side if you ever have to flip it. Who is gonna see it?

Comment

Working...