Anyone know of any plans/pics of a router sled for surface jointing/planing.
Surface jointing with router
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
Here is one where they flatten a bench with it (the woodwhisperor, also talked about one of those):
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/l...ingitplane.pdf
Our own Lee Styron has a simple one on his website....
http://www.leestyron.com/sled.php
That doesn't even include fancier homemade ones, like the ones I have seen that use metal dowel rods, in the edge guide holes. Those run between the runners.She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.Comment
-
Here are a few. they all use the same basic principal.
1. you need to set the rough stock on a known level surface e.g. benchtop, stable plywood or MDF.
2. Setup 2 rails that are exactly the same height on either side of the stock.
3. create a sled to which the router is mounted that will slide over the rails and allow the bit to reach the full area of the stock to be planed.
4. Shim the stock to ensure it does not rock.
5. Use a bottom cutting bit that is wide as possible.
6. Sweep the router back and forth along the rails lowering the bit for each pass until the surface is "smooth."
When complete the surface will have assumed the same plane as the rails.
I have one that I used before I got a planer. I still do use it for very rough stock to get the major lumps off first.
You should note that although the result may look "smooth" there are probably faint grooves and differneces in thickness as its very difficult to get the bit to stay at the exact same depth as you push the sled. Therefore you will need some careful sanding. Wipe it over with some mineral spirits and you should more easily see any imperfections.
Best to catch them now as they will show once you stain/finish the piece.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...p/1274411.html
http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/...ch/index3.html
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2198Jon
Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
________________________________
We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
techzibits.comComment
-

Comment