• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Help me decide on a compressor.

I currently have a 15 gallon craftsman compressor which has done everything I've asked for the past 1 1/2 years but it's way way too loud. I have to put on ear muffs and exit the shop every time I turn the thing on. It's the predecessor to this 17 gallon compressor, the motor on it looks identical except the switch http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators.

I've narrowed it down to these and would love to hear some opinions.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90048+527575
    I like the fact that this one is an oiled compressor which should be quieter than the oil less. The only concern I have is the max pressure is 125psi which is lower than a lot compressors this size. Another reason I have hesitation is my first compressor was a husky hotdog compressor which died a week after the 1 year warranty was up.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators
    This one seems to be a popular one based on the ratings. I like the fact that it lists the dba rating under the specs. The price is also attractive but it's still oil less and wonder if it will be louder than the oiled compressors.

http://www.amazon.com/D55168-Heavy-D...086710&sr=1-11
    This also lists the dba rating at 78 but seems to get mixed reviews. I like the fact that the max pressure is 200psi, which makes the 15 gallon tank more like a 30gallon tank?

So what do you guys think? I mostly use the compressor for air nailers, the occasional spray gun and plan to use it for air die grinders/sanders and such. If there other models I should be looking at please let me know. Preferably in the 15-30 gallon range, $300 range and something quiet. Thanks!
  • Shipwreck
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ryan.s
    I currently have a 15 gallon craftsman compressor which has done everything I've asked for the past 1 1/2 years but it's way way too loud. I have to put on ear muffs and exit the shop every time I turn the thing on. It's the predecessor to this 17 gallon compressor, the motor on it looks identical except the switch http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators.

I've narrowed it down to these and would love to hear some opinions.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90048+527575
    I like the fact that this one is an oiled compressor which should be quieter than the oil less. The only concern I have is the max pressure is 125psi which is lower than a lot compressors this size. Another reason I have hesitation is my first compressor was a husky hotdog compressor which died a week after the 1 year warranty was up.

This one seems to be a popular one based on the ratings. I like the fact that it lists the dba rating under the specs. The price is also attractive but it's still oil less and wonder if it will be louder than the oiled compressors.

http://www.amazon.com/D55168-Heavy-D...086710&sr=1-11
    This also lists the dba rating at 78 but seems to get mixed reviews. I like the fact that the max pressure is 200psi, which makes the 15 gallon tank more like a 30gallon tank?

So what do you guys think? I mostly use the compressor for air nailers, the occasional spray gun and plan to use it for air die grinders/sanders and such. If there other models I should be looking at please let me know. Preferably in the 15-30 gallon range, $300 range and something quiet. Thanks!
    You will be getting rid of a loud one, and getting another loud one. All three of these compressors are loud. I have the Dewalt in the link, and it is almost twice as loud as my old Craftsman 60 gallon vertical 5 hp. belt driven unit. I wish now that I would have bought another belt driven compressor, and they are not real quiet either.
    Last edited by Shipwreck; 03-21-2008, 03:36 AM. Reason: info

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

Of your picks, the Husky is your best bet. It's oil lubricated and belt driven and tons quieter than than the other two. Oil lubricated and belt driven compressors are run much quieter and generally cooler than air cooled direct drive compressors. You might want to look closely at the Husky's prices. I came close to buying that compressor untill I found a larger one (Husky) within $20 of the smaller one's price. Of course I wasn't concerned about the change from 110 to 220 or portability. That may be a consideration in your case. Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Stick with a belt-drive compressor. They may not be any quieter, but the noise they put out is more of a low frequency thump-thump rather than the incessant , jangle-your-teeth buzz of a direct-drive unit.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Shipwreck
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BobSch
          Stick with a belt-drive compressor. They may not be any quieter, but the noise they put out is more of a low frequency thump-thump rather than the incessant , jangle-your-teeth buzz of a direct-drive unit.

You aint kidding, I cringe every time my Dewalt starts up.

Comment

• ryan.s
            • Feb 2006
            • So Cal
            • Ridgid TS3650

Hmm.. maybe it's not worth changing out the compressor then ....or maybe I should pick up a second smaller quieter compressor for my nail guns since I use them most...

Popeye I did see that the 60 gallon husky is less than $20 more but 220v is an issue. Thanks.

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

Is there any possibility of building a small lean-to or anything onto your shop to house your compressor? All compressors are loud, it is just a matter of degree. If noise is really an issue it may be best to just remove the compressor from the shop. Then you could pipe your air all over and make things more convenient. Just a thought.
              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• ryan.s
                • Feb 2006
                • So Cal
                • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                Is there any possibility of building a small lean-to or anything onto your shop to house your compressor? All compressors are loud, it is just a matter of degree. If noise is really an issue it may be best to just remove the compressor from the shop. Then you could pipe your air all over and make things more convenient. Just a thought.
                I've thought of building a box around the compressor, which is still an option but it seems this compressor that I have now is doubly as loud as other compressors it's size. I figure even if I build the box but start with a compressor that is a bit quieter than it would help in the long run. I've also thought about piping in the air but no matter where I look the compressor would be exposed to the elements without me building a storage shed of some sort.

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

I've thought of building a box around the compressor, which is still an option but it seems this compressor that I have now is doubly as loud as other compressors it's size. I figure even if I build the box but start with a compressor that is a bit quieter than it would help in the long run. I've also thought about piping in the air but no matter where I look the compressor would be exposed to the elements without me building a storage shed of some sort.
                  If you're considering boxing in your compressor, remember they generate a lot of heat when running, and they've got to pull air from somewhere, so don't make the box too tight.

I've never checked, but I wonder how much of the noise is from the intake side of the compressor. Perhaps unscrewing the existing filter and replacing it a bigger filter (and a muffler, maybe??) might help quiet things down a bit.
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                    • Dec 2006
                    • Lake County, Illinois
                    • Ryobi BT-3000

I know this is out of your indicated price range... but thought that it might be helpful.

I bought the Craftsman 00916778000 a couple years ago. It is on sale for $399 at the moment. It is a two-stage, oil-free type and is quite a bit quieter than single-stage types. It isn't "quiet", but I don't feel the need to put on ear protection like I did with every single-stage oil-free compressor that I had used before.

You may be able to "fire it up" at a Sears store to see for yourself if it is quiet enough for your ears.

Comment

• probinet
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2006

Husky

I just bought the Husky compressor and it runs great. I broke it in as required and it is running like a champ. It has the option of 110 or 220. 110 is good and if you ever change over to a 220 line then you can change over the compressor.

Comment

• ryan.s
                        • Feb 2006
                        • So Cal
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by probinet
                        I just bought the Husky compressor and it runs great. I broke it in as required and it is running like a champ. It has the option of 110 or 220. 110 is good and if you ever change over to a 220 line then you can change over the compressor.
                        Congrats on the new compressor! At what psi does the pump start running and how is the noise level? Thanks.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2003
                          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                          • BT3100

Ryan,

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON"T BUY AN OIL LESS MODEL, DAMHIK

Bruce
                          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• sscherin
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Kennewick, WA, USA.

This is what I have..
                            http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-D55155-.../ref=de_a_smtd

It's an oiled compressor.. Much quieter than an oil free but still direct drive so it's not as quiet as a iron belt drive..

100% duty cycle.. You can drive it hard all day long..
                            90 seconds from 0-125 psi.. 10 seconds to cycle from 100-125psi.

One thing you might want to look at is shop auctions, classified adds and old gas stations.. some good old dual stage compressors turn up cheep sometimes.

I got an Old 1950's Devilbiss 80gal 5hp Dual Stage for $300 that way.. Had to sell it when I moved to CO
                            William's Law--
                            There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                            cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

I own this model (I think these may be produced by DeVilbiss), and although it's quieter than my last one (a 20gal DeVibiss), I wouldn't call it quiet - but I don't feel the need to where ear protection around it.

I use it to drive nailers, primarily - 18g, 16g, 10g framing & coil roofing nailers, and my automotive air tools - and I've had absolutely no problems with it, except for breaking the plastic hub of one of the wheels.
                              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...