• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Boeshield stays wet/tacky

I used Boeshield for the first time the other day on my table saw. Sprayed a light coat over the table, waited about an hour, and found it was still damp and sticky. Waited overnight, no change. Ended up wiping with a cloth, and even then it left some "oilyness". To get it slick, I had to wipe really thoroughly and then put wax on it.

Anyone have similar experience? What was supposed to happen with the stuff? The garage was perhaps 55-65 degrees over the course of the day.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • Dale In Corona
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • Corona, CA, USA.

I had a similar experience the first time I tried to use it. I sprayed it directly on the surface I was intending to protect and several hours later it had not "dried". It seems to me that a direct application left a REALLY thick coat of the stuff on the surface of whatever I tried to spray it on. So what I have taken to doing is spraying a paper shop towel with a little bit and using that to wipe on the boeshield rather than simply spraying it directly on the surface of whatever I am applying it to.

I have found that this method leaves a thin film of the T9 that dries within an hour or so rather than the thick, wont even dry over night coating that I get with direct application. If I feel that a thicker coat is required than what I got by wiping it on in a single application I can wipe on another coating.

For exceptionally rough or uneven surfaces, or areas where I want to coat the whole tool I will still occasionally spray it on directly with the knowledge that I will have to wipe off the excess after an hour or two of “drying” time.

Comment

• burrellski
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Saint Joseph, MO.

I typically spray as thin of a coating on as I can (not easy with the nozzle provided) and then wipe it down with a cloth that I have sprayed a little on. This creates an even coating over the entire surface. I let it dry for 15 min or so and then wipe it down again, trying to leave a very thin film coating. This drys in an hour or so to a good slick finish.

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

I spray a light coat then spread it with a paper towel which removes the excess.
        John Hunter

Comment

• Holbren
          • Oct 2004
          • Heathrow, FL.

What they said, you need to wipe off the excess. Leave the thick coat on for storage or non wood contact parts.
          Brian
          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...