• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Using 7 1/4" circular saw blades

I just started moving away from using the standard combo blade for everything and getting specialized blades for different jobs.

I just got the 24T freud ripping blade (HD variety) and it cuts through stock like butter, why didnt I do this ages ago I ask myself

Anyway as I can see myself adding to my blade collection over time I was wondering about using circular saw blades (7 1/4") as I have heard that this can be a good strategy when rough cutting lumber or reclaimed wood. I can see that the capacity will be less but will save your main blades from potential incidents with non wood matter, hard knots etc.

What are your thoughts, experiences and recomendations?

Thanks

Jon
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • SARGE..g-47

It will work fine, Jon. It will just limit you to thickness of stock. Most of the 7 1/4" blades are thinner than regarlar 10", but if you have a BT3 that is not a bad thing.

Good luck...

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I've used them for dirty lumber. they work fine but will deflect easily.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

I've used 7 1/4" blades in my BT3K for years for virtually all cutting. I found that I rarely needed the increased depth that 10" blades allowed. The cost savings was mighty handy. I also liked the much thinner kerf (less dust and wood waste).

These smaller blades came in handy when I was resawing boards about 3" wide. I would rip (on edge) just shy of half way through, flip the board while keeping the same face against the face, and do the second cut. Then it was just a matter of separating the two boards.

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

I highly recommend using 7 1/4 inch blades for cutting laminate flooring. Laminate flooring really dulls a blade fast. The smaller blades are much less expensive and laminate flooring is usually only about 3/8" thick, so you don't need the depth provided by the 10" blade.
          Bill

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

If you do MDF, they say CS blades are good b/c they won't kill your good blade. I just got a WWII, so I'm going in the opposite direction as you are. Maybe if I was doing a LOT of ripping and wanted the speed, but I've never heard of anyone complaining about their WWII not performing well.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
              If you do MDF, they say CS blades are good b/c they won't kill your good blade. I just got a WWII, so I'm going in the opposite direction as you are. Maybe if I was doing a LOT of ripping and wanted the speed, but I've never heard of anyone complaining about their WWII not performing well.
              My theory here was to save the better blades and not use them for major riping tasks. Cutting lumber to approx size and then either jointing or planing to final size. Also I look for opportunities to reclaim wood so I would rather clean these boards up with a cheaper blade than to damage my good one. Often you are riping off old varnished surfaces or there may be brads or screews left hidden in there.

For those that already use the 7 1/4 strategy, what blades have you had good success with?

Jon
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by poolhound
                My theory here was to save the better blades and not use them for major riping tasks. Cutting lumber to approx size and then either jointing or planing to final size. Also I look for opportunities to reclaim wood so I would rather clean these boards up with a cheaper blade than to damage my good one. Often you are riping off old varnished surfaces or there may be brads or screews left hidden in there.

For those that already use the 7 1/4 strategy, what blades have you had good success with?

Jon
                That's a sound idea, and one I've thought of myself.

As far as blades go- I've used the Freud CS blades in a CS, and they worked well. I also have a Kobalt CS blade I used in a CS that cut very cleanly (for a CS that is) and was on clearance for only $30... A little thin for my tastes, but so are most CS blades.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I have mostly used a 7-1/4" CS blade on a TS when cutting lots of MDF, and plywood (if I have only a few cuts to make, I don't take the time to change the blade). Wood cuts down into sawdust but MDF cuts down into talcum-like dust, so the thin blade is a plus. As mentioned, it also saves wear and tear on the more expensive carbide.

Care is required when using these thinner blades for rough or dimensional lumber. If your saw has a riving knife, it'll most likely have to be removed; and any internal stresses that are released as the cut is made will have even less room to work with before the blade gets pinched, possibly resulting in a kickback. Because of these two issues, I use an inexpensive 10" blade when ripping solid wood to rough size. All my blades are TK but the kerf size does allow use of the riving knife.
                  Larry

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Good feedback all.

Larry - thats a great point about the riving knife I hadnt considered the fact that the kerf would be much thinner and the riving knife could end up being too thick.

Jon
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

I bought a Frued TK303 as a replacement CS blade and mounted it in the BT one day because of the thin kerf. It has a dedicated ZCTP and I bought another one for the CS.

The other point is valid, too. 7 1/4" blades are cheap and can be considered disposable when you don't want to chance damaging a better blade.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

How does tooth count relate to a 10" blade when using a 7 1/4" one?

I guess less is more......
                        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

How does tooth count relate to a 10" blade when using a 7 1/4" one?

I guess less is more......
                          Only to a point, and normally you will see it go the other way. For example, my miter saw blade is a 10" 80 tooth, LU85R010. The 12 " has 96 teeth and the 8" has 64 teeth.

However, most of the circular saw blades will have 16, 24, 40, or 60 teeth (the carbide ones). You can find a 30 tooth one, but it isn't one you normally pick up at your hardware store, normally.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                            • Dec 2006
                            • Lake County, Illinois
                            • Ryobi BT-3000

I've used Freud Diablo 24 tooth and 40 tooth models. Those came in handy when I was cutting treated lumber (that is often a bit wet).

I made a lame attempt at making an extra thin kerf riving knife so that I could use the Shark Guard with the 7-1/4" blades - but it wasn't terribly successful. (I goofed on the spacing from the blade). I'm not sure if the knife, even made out of hardened steel, will be strong enough.

Comment

Working...