X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FromWack
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2007

miter saw advice

Hi guys, looking to make my first miter saw purchase. I have plenty of experience with different ones at work, but I am leaning toward a 10". A 10" slider would be ideal, but the price doesnt work.....Also I was thinking of a recon. 12" but heard bad things about blade wobble for finish work....any suggestions would be great. Thanks
  • MilDoc

All miter saws from any company seem to have some degree of blade wobble. I don't know if that's worse with recon saws though. Anyone have one?

I bought a Denali, not the best, but it does what I need.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

I've had a Makita 1220 12" for several years. I use it often in my handyman business and have never had any evidence of blade wobble. Use a good blade and you'll get great results. You can crosscut an 8" board easily.

I chose a 12" over a slider because of portability (the SCMS is a pretty big chunk to heave in and out of a van). My cousin has the Dewalt 10" SCMS and he's always borrowing my saw because it's easier to handle.

I have a Ridgid 10" for small jobs, but the Makita 12" is a much better saw.
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I have a recon LS1013 makita, and it's been great for many years. I'm very pleased with it. Got it for about 350$

Don't see any wobble from it either.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Schleeper
          Established Member
          • Feb 2008

I had a 10" Delta MS for years, and switched to a Task Force SCMS about a year and a half ago. It's mounted to a Ridgid MSUV, so it's a breeze to move around. I just picked up one of the Delta 60T crosscut blades Lowes recently had on clearance for $25, so I'm getting some pretty sweet cuts, too.

The saw will never be mistaken for a Makita, but it's done everything I've asked it to do. The only real beefs I have, are with the lousy "clamp," and the nearly worthless dust collection.

I saved enough money by buying a Task Force SCMS instead of a Makita, Dewalt, etc., that I was able to purchase a used Ryobi BT3000 TS, also.
          "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• wbsettle
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006
            • Wilmington, NC
            • BT3100

You don't give a desired budget. I'm probably still more of a sawdust maker than woodworker at this point, but I've been happy with the Craftsman 10" SCMS I picked up about 1.5 years ago...think it was a hair under $200 with Craftsman Club discount. Looking at the website now, this appears to be the replacement model for $250. Mine doesn't have the adjustable extension wings, otherwise appears the same visually.

-Brent

Comment

• jrnewhall
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2005
              • Rochester, NY.
              • Ryobi 3100

Originally posted by wbsettle
              You don't give a desired budget. I'm probably still more of a sawdust maker than woodworker at this point, but I've been happy with the Craftsman 10" SCMS I picked up about 1.5 years ago...think it was a hair under $200 with Craftsman Club discount. Looking at the website now, this appears to be the replacement model for $250. Mine doesn't have the adjustable extension wings, otherwise appears the same visually.

-Brent
              That Craftsman looks pretty good for $250. Does anyone know who actually makes it?

~JRN

Comment

• ryan.s
                • Feb 2006
                • So Cal
                • Ridgid TS3650

You may want to take a look at this site. They have some great prices on reconditioned saws.

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...aw___i236.aspx

Comment

• frumper64
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Garland, Tx, USA.

Not sure who makes it (the Craftsman 10" slider)but it looks like the same saw that Lowes sells under their Kobalt name. I picked up up on Craigslist (new and unopened) for $130 a couple of weeks ago and after initial tweaking of the fence setup it seems to be a pretty decent saw. The laser is near worthless since it the lens gets covered with sawdust every cut and the dustbag needs some redesign to have any function at all, but those are the only issues I have come across so far. (I solved the dustbag problem with a PVC 90 degree elbow. Still doens't catch much, but that's life with a miter saw)
                  Last edited by frumper64; 02-27-2008, 11:48 AM.
                  Jim
                  64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                    • BT3100

here is another option: try to get lowes to price match another lowes price of $210 for a Hitachi C10FSH sliding compound miter saw. you may have to go to a few lowes, but it is sure worth it.

if you do a search for the thread, you will find that someone posted their reciept, i believe it was around jan 20th in the bargain alert section.

if you cant find it, pm or email me and i will post it here for you.

Comment

• pacwind3
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Vancouver, WA
                      • Bosch 4100

The taskforce saw...

I bought one of the taskforce saws and took it back. If you held a straight edge up to the fence, it was bowed in the center. The floor display was the same way.
                      It is VERY similiar to the Kobalt brand that Lowe's sells, but there are some subtle differences. I now have the Kobalt and for $200, you can't go wrong. It's a really nice saw. I worked with the 12 Dewalt sliding miter at work and of course it's not as nice as the dewalt. But as I said, it's 1/3 the price and cuts very well. Just be prepared to make some adjustments out of the box to get everything square and you'll be good to go.

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

I can't advise you on which saw to buy, but I can make a suggestion for when you're examining the choices.

I have a $100 Craftsman CMS. I've always had trouble getting miters to be "just right". Two weeks ago I found out why. The left side of the rotating table is square to the blade, but the right side is not! That's right, the table is not flat.

It would be helpful to have 4" square handy when inspecting a CMS. Check for square on the fences and boths sides of the blade.

JR
                        JR

Comment

• messmaker
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2004
                          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                          • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by ryan.s
                          You may want to take a look at this site. They have some great prices on reconditioned saws.

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...aw___i236.aspx

I can't imagine finding a better deal than this.
                          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

The $59 saw is out of stock but those are good prices on reconditioned Hitachi saws. I was going to say you should look at a Ryobi 12 inch available at Home Depot for about $200 and I still think that is a viable option but you can get a reconditioned Hitachi 12 inch for less - with free shipping. I'd have to do more research to know whether a reconditioned Hitachi is preferable over a Ryobi. The Ryobi got a "Best Buy" rating from one of the magazines recently, it is not a low end saw. On the other hand, I would normally think Hitachi would be nicer.

Jim

Comment

• Shipwreck
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2005

The Dewalt's and the Makita's are about the only miter saws I see on the jobsites every day in this area. The trim carpenters that I speak with all are very high on them.

Comment

Working...