Clear All
  • fastfoodkills
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Saugus, CA
    • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

Opinions on Ridgid Standalone 15" Drill Press

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with the Ridgid Standalone Drill press? My local Orange Box never seem to have these on display. I'm curious to know if the casting quality and attention to detail is as good as the Ridgid jointer for example. Looked at some low-end Delta's and Craftsman, but they seemed a little rough in terms of workmanship. Also wondering if they go on sale from time to time - the current price is $299.

Thanks!

Tom N.
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

Had mine for several years with no issues. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Sugarman
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2006
      • Chester County, PA
      • BT3100-1

I've had mine for almost a year without a problem. Use it heavily. Paid 188.00 on clearance. It was a floor model and a little dusty with no manual. Downloaded the manual.

Comment

• final_t
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003

Model DP1550? Yes, also have mine for about 4-5 years, no issues with it. Works exactly like I want, when I want it, which is almost every day I'm in the shop. Not a big fan of changing belt speed, but it's way cheaper than a VS model.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I use a DP nearly every day for this or that... the only thing that keeps me from getting a Steel City 17" with a 6" quill travel is the fact I have had a Rigid 15" for 5 years and it has given me no reason to up-grade with the exception I could have used the longer quill travel on occasion. But.. I always found another way on those occasions as that's my job in my shop.

Granted.. mine was purchased 5 years ago and I assume (?) they are still manufactured to the same tolerances as then...

Fit and finish is good considerings it's a $299 machine..

Run-out is better than I found on Delta when shopping and comparing..

No variable speed but quick release belt tension.. I am skeptical of variable speed as the more complicated things are made, the more tendency for them to not be as reliable with day to day usage. Just me maybe..

Table flat enough to clamp and gives a good base to add a large table.

Work light built in over-head..

Depth stop OK but not great.. but then again that could be said on about 95% of all DP's regardless of brand or price.

Price is right and if you have a 10% discount or catch a floor model.. even better.

That's about all I have to say good about the DP 1550 except it's made in China. What isn't anymore?

Comment

• Crockett
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Buffalo, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Had one for about 4 years now, couldn't be happier with it.
            Al
            Al

Comment

• fastfoodkills
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2008
              • Saugus, CA
              • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

Thanks for the input folks. I'm happy to hear they've been solid going on 4-5 years. I will definitely keep this one in mind since the price is in my budget.

Looked at several others recently and they were just crappy looking, so rough - no pride in workmanship. Some of them looked like they came from the same basic castings and used the same no-name chuck with different embellishments and re-badged for our consumption...

Comment

• Shipwreck
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2005

My brother has one in his shop. His mechanics and welders love it.

Comment

Working...