• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Anybody use a Grabit Screw Extractor?

I was watching an old David Marks program this morning (snow day ) and there was an ad for a Grabit Screw Extractor. One end of the bit drills a cone-shaped hole in the end of the broken-off screw, and the other end has the reverse-thread extractor part.

Anybody ever used this extractor? Is there another that works better? Or should I just never strip out a screw head? (Easier said than done with high-schoolers.)

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • downtheroad
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • So. California
    • Ryobi BT3000

I've got the Craftsman version http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rew+extractors

Used it on 3 screws ...worked on 2, the other one I had to use more "destructive" means.
    Tony

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I've got some screws to remove with damaged heads, and my EZ-Out kit is MIA. So, I bought the Black & Decker Screw Extractor Set. It seems to work OK if you don't get too aggressive. Better than breaking off the drill bits with the EZ-Out.

Comment

• iceman61
        • Oct 2007
        • West TN
        • Bosch 4100-09

I've never use this brand but screw extractors in general are indispensable. You can also get screws out using left handed drill bits, but they don't always work.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

I also have used the Craftsman one a few times. The BIG trick with ANY of the ones I looked at (including the Grabit at the woodshow), is drill speed. It needs to be SLOW.

Now if the head is too thin to grab and spin, then another method is called for.

I never saw them use the bolt for. I have some tools for that, and friends with LOTS more expertise, in case I get in over my head. (been fortunate, most broken bolts have been through bolts I could get from the other side)
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jonmulzer
            • Dec 2007
            • Indianapolis, IN

I do not own one, but a very beautiful Japanese girl was demonstrating one at the woodworkers show here in Indianapolis and I played around with it for quite some time asking her questions and flirting with her. It seemed to work well, though I must say I spent more time drilling blind so I could look at more interesting things.
            "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Crash2510
              • Feb 2006
              • North Central Ohio

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              I also have used the Craftsman one a few times. The BIG trick with ANY of the ones I looked at (including the Grabit at the woodshow), is drill speed. It needs to be SLOW.

Now if the head is too thin to grab and spin, then another method is called for.

I never saw them use the bolt for. I have some tools for that, and friends with LOTS more expertise, in case I get in over my head. (been fortunate, most broken bolts have been through bolts I could get from the other side)

I agree I have a set of these and they work great as long as you go slow and try to torque it out instead of drill it out at high speeds

the set however doesn't go extremely small so it probably wouldn't be very good for anything below a #6-8 screw probably closer to 8
              Phil In Ohio
              The basement woodworker

Comment

• mlnags
                Handtools only
                • Jul 2011

Grabit

Originally posted by gsmittle
                I was watching an old David Marks program this morning (snow day ) and there was an ad for a Grabit Screw Extractor. One end of the bit drills a cone-shaped hole in the end of the broken-off screw, and the other end has the reverse-thread extractor part.

Anybody ever used this extractor? Is there another that works better? Or should I just never strip out a screw head? (Easier said than done with high-schoolers.)

g.
                Go to Ron Hazelton.com. He has a video which shows how to use it. Buying one for myself. Will do fup purchases for family if it works as well as the video and instructions demonstrate.

Comment

• d_meister
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • La Conner, WA.
                  • BT3000

I've used them for years, and love them. I work on yachts, and stainless screws are especially prone to rounding out phillips drive screws. We refer to them as having become "theft-proof" That's good advice about slow speed. The end that serves as a reverse drill bit that will allow the cone to fit can be easily damaged from excess heat/speed, like any drill bit. The idea is to use the drill end to either spin the screw out or drill a hole for the cone end.
                  I also use the extractor from Rockler if the head is completely gone:
                  http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ew%20extractor

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Wow, old thread... Well, since it's revived, I'll note that I bought the grabit 3 piece set for $20 and it's been well worth it. I've had a set similar to the B&D one linked, but that didn't work at all, and I actually just tossed it a bit ago while organizing my tools.

The trick for the grabit is to use a fast speed on the burnisher/ smooth side, and a slow speed on the threaded side. Then it'll grip so tightly that you need to tap the srew into something to dislodge it.

I also like the fact that the bits have the prropriate sized groove to work with quick-release chucks. So if you have a Bosch or similar cordless that uses the quick change chuck, the bits will work with it.

Comment

• scmhogg
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                      • BT3000

Plus one.

My Grabit works great No fails.

Steve
                      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• RAV2
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Massachusetts

I have the Harbor Freight version and they work well (can't find them listed today on the web).

Comment

• jnesmith
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

FWIW, I have the Spin it Out.
                          http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-8268.../dp/B000HE9VZY

It does a fair job of cutting a cone shaped depression in the screw head, but that's about all it does.
                          John

Comment

Working...