• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry David
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Maryland.

Circular Saw blade choice

I need to cut some MDF and Particle Board sheets that I already have. I am going to use the material to make some inexpensive garage shelving but I want the cuts to look decent. What blade for my circular saw (number of teeth and brand) would give me the best cut? Thank you.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

24-40T should do it. Freud, Ridgid, Bosch are all reasonable choices that are readily available in the $10-$15 range.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Larry David
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • Maryland.

thanks Dustmight

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

I am in the middle of a project for which I have to cut hardwood plywood. I bought a fresh, modestly priced 60-tooth blade (Oldham). It has worked out great.

I should stress that I am using this simple cutting guide. Because it's set up for my CS, using the blade that's on it, it provides functionality similar to a Zero Clearance Throat Plate on a table saw. There was absolutely no tearout on the cuts I've made so far. It also makes setup for each cut a breeze. The simplicity vs effectiveness ratio of this jig is outstanding.

HTH,
        JR
        JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I've used the 60 T Oldham J.R. mentioned. It actually cuts MDF and ply fine. I've used it on a ton of junk projects and the first one I retired finally after it chipped a tooth on a nail. I still acturally use it for cutting up scraps, etc.

BTW.. that chipped tooth came on the 6th nail I had encountered over several years. It cut through the first five without a problem. Did throw a few sparks, but just slowed the feed rate. ha. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Not a bad blade when I paid $6.95 each for two. I think they are $12-$13 now with inflation. Not a bad blade at all.

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

I use a 40T Freud that can be had from the BORG for about 15$. Very nice cuts, just about as nice as my TS w/ the wood worker II on veneer stock. It's about as nice as I could as from a CS.

I typically use it to rough cut the ply and make finish cuts on the TS w/ zero clearance insert. I rarely use the CS for finish grade cuts, but I certainly don't want much chip out even when roughing out sheets, or you may loose too much veneer in a chip out. I've had chip outs from veneer that are better than 2" long.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Same here as Drumpriest
              Freud TKR303 7-1/4-Inch 40-Tooth Thin Kerf Finishing Blade got it from Amazon some time ago and it cuts veneer ply really well, esp with jig like JR mentioned.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Ditto on the TX303. Ultra thin kerf so less waste and excellent cut quality!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Larry David
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Maryland.

Thanks for all the replies. I knew I could get some good advice here.

Comment

Working...