• Show
Clear All
  • Wandere
    Established Member
    • Dec 2007
    • Madison, WI area
    • BT3000

MCLS Horizontal router table?

I'm looking to mount a new Freud FT2200E into a table and start getting it dusty. (first router...may be overkill)

Any thoughts on the MCLS horizontal? Lower price direct than from Amazon:
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ter_table.html

The only thing you really couldn't use it for would be the giant cabinet face bits I think. Price is still a bit high but and it looks easy to get to the router, etc.

Thanks,

-Rob
  • JohnnyLisa
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Pensacola, Florida
    • Sears Craftsman # 21829

DIY horizontal router table

Don't know if you'd be interested in building your own, but Bill Hylton's book Router Magic has plans for building a horizontal router jig that can be added onto an existing cabinet or table.

John

Comment

• Wandere
      Established Member
      • Dec 2007
      • Madison, WI area
      • BT3000

I sure would, will try to find it....sounds like the best of both worlds then, little compromising.

Still in the tool acquisition phase, haven't made a lick of sawdust towards any "building something new" goals. A home built router table might just do the trick.

-Rob

Comment

• 180x
        Established Member
        • Dec 2006
        • North Augusta, SC
        • Craftsman 21829

A router table cabinet was my first venture into woodworking. It whet my appetite and I learned a few things. I built it using pocket screws.
        Dwayne

Comment

• Wandere
          Established Member
          • Dec 2007
          • Madison, WI area
          • BT3000

Very cool 180, a Kreg jig is on my wish list too. Mentioned it to a woodworker at work and got a raised eyebrow...lol

Found some plans, want to grab a big Al plate soon...found a nifty one on the 'bay

Comment

• 180x
            Established Member
            • Dec 2006
            • North Augusta, SC
            • Craftsman 21829

I saw a video for making wall panels by Norm on New Yankee Workshop where he was using them for assembly (I did the wainscotting in my living room using it). Also, Marc Sommerfeld has incorporated it into his cabinet making system. It's a true time saver IMHO.
            Dwayne

Comment

• mpauly
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • NJ

A kind soul here emailed me plans for a shop built horizontal router table. I haven't built it yet, but it looks simple and effective. If you like, PM me your email address and I'll forward it on to you.

Michael

Comment

• Wandere
                Established Member
                • Dec 2007
                • Madison, WI area
                • BT3000

PM coming your way, thanks.

Comment

• Crash2510
                  • Feb 2006
                  • North Central Ohio

have the same router in my table. great powerful router. I think you can use vertical raised panel bits to still do that kind of routing
                  Phil In Ohio
                  The basement woodworker

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

My router table can do either vertical or horizontal. To add the horizontal capability I took a chunk out of the top in the middle at the back and then made a magnetic mount so I can put it back when I am using the vertical feature. The mount for the router is just a piece of melamine covered particle board that pivots on one lag bolt that is in the 3/4 plywood back of my router table and is in a slotted hole on the other side so you can adjust the height. I glued shims made from old business cards to the edges of the melamine router mount to get it square to the top of the table. Kind of crude but works fine. I think I've used it 3 times or less in the 5 years or so I've had it. For the few added bucks I have in my setup I think it was good to do but as a whole additional tool, I don't think it would be worthwhile for most woodworkers.

Comment

Working...