Where do I go to learn about scroll saws blades? (semi-gloat included)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Where do I go to learn about scroll saws blades? (semi-gloat included)

Ok, I just bought a Dremel 1830 from HD for $90 (that's the gloat, I guess). It was a floor model and didn't have the included blades or hold-down, but was in good condition otherwise.

This is my first scroll saw that isn't a total piece of crap. Anyways, I don't know exactly what I plan to do with it- mostly inlay and marquetry. But I don't know what blades I need, where to buy them, etc. Anyone have any good resources?

Thanks!

P.S.- There aren't many reviews on the web about this saw. Is it a decent saw for a begginer. It's usually $200, and the next price point from there is well into the $400's (Which I'm definitely not going to spend)...
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I don't have his site, and haven't bought from him, but Mike at 'Flying Dutchman' has a good reputation.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Here's the link: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• foneman
        Established Member
        • Jul 2003
        • kansas, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
        I don't have his site, and haven't bought from him, but Mike at 'Flying Dutchman' has a good reputation.
        I have bought from Mike and he can answer all questions you may have. He has good prices on blades with only $1 shipping. The quality of the blades are the best I have used. He has some new UR (ultra reverse) blades that last longer then any other I have used. If you want to try spiral blades, he has a new type that cuts and tracks much better than most.

Tell Mike what you are cutting and he will tell you the best blade for the job.

John
        john

Comment

• foneman
          Established Member
          • Jul 2003
          • kansas, USA.

you might want to try this site

There has been lots of discussion on this site regarding blades.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/tools-and-blades/
          john

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Ditto Mike at Mike's Workshop and the site was given. That will lead you to other scroll related sites also and a wealth of information.

Mike's the old man that can give you a plan. And he'll sell you a few blades also, but if he feels you don't need a particular one he will tell you that you don't. Kudo's for the "Flying Dutchman"......

Comment

• MilDoc

Double ditto for Mike. I ordered some blades from him with his advice. They never arrived - lost in the mail somewhere. He replaced them, free. Can't ask for a more knowledgeable source or better customer service!

Comment

Working...